Two Spoke Forums banner
3921 - 3940 of 3980 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,989 Posts
Note the little white speckles in the air: that isn't static, it's cottonwood seeds. For those who are unfamiliar, cottonwoods are trees which grow in wet areas in the West. They spread by producing tens of millions of little seed pods every spring. When these burst, they emit a tiny puff of white material which looks for all the world like a little puff of cotton. These contain a seed each and weigh next to nothing, so they float on the breeze. Riding this time of year can look like playing in snow, only much warmer.
Plant Tree Shade Natural landscape Branch

Chip wasn't much into running today, but still enjoyed hanging out in his trailer.
Bicycle Wheel Tire Cloud Sky

Less flying cotton here.
Water Sky Cloud Plant Water resources

Plant Natural landscape Tree Road surface Asphalt

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,989 Posts
That’s a lot of seeds.
I’ve known of cottonwood trees, but never heard about the seed pods.

Thanks for the education.
Thank you for the interest! All the flying cotton is pretty to look at, but less fun when stuck in things like radiators and machinery. All the more reason to ride this time of year :cool:.

In the historic desert Southwest, cottonwoods are especially loved for being indicators of water: anywhere you see a live cottonwood tree, there's water within 12 feet of the surface. Frequently closer. In the days of wagon trains and horses, such knowledge could spell the difference between life and death.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,208 Posts
Did a killer group ride ... as in, it nearly killed me. I haven't been so close to stopping in the middle of a ride since I nearly had a heart issue after a
Cloud Water Sky Water resources Atmosphere

sprint on a hot day .... this was 850 feet of climbing in 17 miles, with grades up to eight percent, and I was Not up to it. Really hard for me. But .... at the end I got a few sunset pics. This is just one grabbed at random, others are probably better, but this is what i got first .......

3921 - 3940 of 3980 Posts