Two Spoke Forums banner
3981 - 4000 of 4024 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Bicycle Plant Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
First ride, on the Safari with her new Arkel bags. It felt really good to hit the trail with this one again, but an ongoing problem with my elbow cut the ride short.

Cloud Tire Sky Plant Bicycle
The Ice Cream Truck's riding position is enough different that it does not seem to upset my elbow. More mileage for the Truck!

Water Plant Cloud Sky Mountain

Sky Plant Mountain Cloud Water

Bicycle Tire Wheel Plant Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Bicycle Tire Wheel Land vehicle Bicycle wheel
Here is where I turned back. I'm not too worried about the average bear, but one willing to enter tents has lost its fear of humans and might make for an unhappy encounter with a human who lacked either bear spray or a firearm. Flight is pointless: bears can run faster than race horses over short distances, and pursuit activates the predator instinct. Wrong answer.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Bit of a change in venue here, but thanks to an injury, same bike! I rode the Katy Trail in Missouri today, not all of it :D. I did 64mi on my new fat bike. This trail was admittedly made for my touring bike, but I've developed an elbow problem which is irritated by the touring bike's riding position. The Ice Cream Truck is presently the only of my bikes I can ride as a result. Turns out, you get some odd looks when you show up on this trail riding a fat bike. Lots of smiles, too.
Plant Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant Wood
My entry point to the Katy Trail happened to also offer access to a singletrack loop. Why not explore that first? Nothing in there was likely to bother the Ice Cream Truck. It sure was pretty!

Plant Natural landscape Trunk Tree Terrestrial plant
The singletrack was mostly mild, with occasional roots, rocks, and sandy spots to keep things interesting. I could have ridden my touring bike on this. I don't think I'd have chosen to try, but I could have. It would not have been as fun as it was on the Truck.

Plant Tire Tree Bicycle wheel Natural landscape
There she is! So clean! Note that I started this ride with more or less clean gear. Not quite spotless, but close. That did not last. The Katy Trail is covered in crushed limestone, and produced very fine dust. See subsequent shots.

Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Plant

Sky Water Cloud Plant Plant community
The Missouri River.

Cloud Water Sky Water resources Natural landscape

Plant Road surface Tree Asphalt Shade
On to the Katy!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Bicycle Wheel Plant Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies
Dust building visibly now, if still hard to see on the frame.

Plant Sky Road surface Shade Natural landscape

Sky Plant Cloud Tree Natural landscape
The lone tree in a huge field seems to be a recurring visual theme through this part of the trail, at least. I approve. I love a good 'green tunnel' effect, but find it's more enjoyable when it's a tunnel rather than an endless green tube :).

Plant Sky Natural landscape Road surface Vegetation
No green tunnel here, just rural heartland at its best.

Plant Cloud Sky Tree Natural landscape
Conditions couldn't have been better.

Plant Ecoregion Road surface Shade Natural landscape

Sky Bicycle Plant Wheel Tree
There's some of the dust beginning to build.

Bicycle helmet Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Wood Tree Bedrock
Not the best selfie, but there I am! The Trucker with his Truck. I love this bike. I just love it. Not the best bike for this trail. Never mind that :D.

Cloud Sky Plant Shade Tree
For those who follow Katy Trail touring logs, this is something of an iconic crossing. No reason I'm aware of, but many seem to find it worthy of a pic. I sure did.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Road surface
Just as the 'green tunnel' effect begins to feel cloying, boom! A view.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
A few years back, i did a shorter stint on the Katy. Pretty sure your ride was part of what i did back then.

Fun stuff.

Glad you’re loving your new bike.
I have some more pics to post, perhaps you'll recognize some of the places. Sorry or the delay, but the day after the Katy, I drove 12hrs to FL. Little catching up to do, but the cycling here is great. May be a few days ;).

I'd sure love to ride the whole Katy Trail, but I'm glad I did a recon: I'd been thinking of riding it with canine companion Chip, but the quantity and fine nature of the trail's limestone dust has convinced me otherwise. That said, I'd sure love to ride the whole trail. So beautiful!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
After an intermission and a good bit of driving, here are a few more pics from my recent 64mi adventure on the Katy Trail.
Bicycle Tire Wheel Sky Building

Bicycle Sky Tire Wheel Cloud
Once people awaited the train here.

Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree Road surface

Picture frame Font Wood Signage Poster
Inbound to St. Charles where I began my ride, I passed the town of Boonville, where Daniel Boon'es sons once ran a business harvesting salt from area licks and delivering it to nearby St. Louis. The trail runs right past the town, but I didn't make it that far on this day.

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Agriculture

Water Plant Sky Cloud Tree
The Missouri River.

Water Bicycle Cloud Sky Tire

Water Sky Wheel Bicycle Tire
For someone who grew up in the desert Southwest US, the sheer scale of the Missouri River is mind boggling.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Plant Natural landscape Tree Road surface Shade

Sky Plant Water resources Water Cloud
Overlooking the Missouri river. It occurred to me that since I brought a fat bike, I might be able to ride on that sand.

Sky Cloud Natural landscape Coastal and oceanic landforms Tree
I did not expect riding on the sand to be this easy.

Bicycle Wheel Sky Tire Cloud
To be clear, there is absolutely no need to bring a fat bike to ride the Katy Trail. Anyone who does so anyway might find those fat tires open a whole new range of possible side trips.

Bicycle Sky Cloud Tire Wheel
The sand doesn't look it, but was quite firm. Note the tire track in the foreground.

Water Sky Plant Plant community Ecoregion
It's nowhere near the height of fall color here, but looking at bits like this gave me an idea of how pretty that must be.

Water Sky Cloud Coastal and oceanic landforms Beach
More bike tracks on the beach.

Sky Road surface Asphalt Tree Natural landscape

Plant Plant community Road surface Natural landscape Wood

Plant Natural landscape Tree Wood Terrestrial plant
Rolling through a green tunnel.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
6,122 Posts
Plant Plant community Leaf Natural landscape Branch
The bluffs are impressive.

Bicycle Tire Wheel Plant Plant community

Plant Road surface Tree Natural landscape Asphalt

Plant Natural landscape Tree Terrestrial plant Groundcover
Another short but memorable section of singletrack I probably would not have ridden had I brought my touring bike as originally planned. It is unquestionably the better tool for the job of riding the Katy Trail. For side excursions, however, the fat bike offered compelling options.

Plant Plant community Tree Natural landscape Terrestrial plant

Plant Tree Wheel Tire Bicycle tire

Plant Tree Building Leisure Travel
Time for a selfie.

Bicycle helmet Glasses Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Helmet Goggles
This marks my first 'action selfie' taken while riding.

Bicycle Bicycle handlebar Bicycle tire Nature Bicycle accessory
No hands!

Plant Sky Road surface Land lot Shade

3981 - 4000 of 4024 Posts