Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As commuting goes,I tend to be more focused on seen and being seen as much as I am focused on commuting to work,and grocery store...Here is a few pics of my Jamis.I still have custom supports to add to my rear seat post mounted rack so I can add some panniers,and then to fab some panniers also(I hope)or possibly breakdown and buy a set......

A WTB pro gel seat,3M reflective tape front to back and on the rims,schwinn seat mounted rack,blackburn mars 3.0 blinkie with 2 orange DOT reflectors on a fabbed mount from aluminum flat bar,and 2 Coleman LED's for 234 lumens total for my headlights.Lighting up the front and rear like a christmas tree.
Hope to see some of your pics and ideas for panniers,and general commuting...CHEERS!!!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
My old Trek.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice trek Nigal,I want a front rack like that,nice and small.No lights man?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
I thinkm I paid like $12 for that thing at Bikenashbar. I got the bag for it too. My light is on the Raleigh right now. It's just a small, yet bright, battery powered light.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Kool,Im gonna check those out...I found a DIY pannier project that is super easy(Video),the instructions were precise and simple.In the video he used tackle boxes as the platform,but I found waterproof marine battery boxes Im going to use.They will be lockable and removable and less than $25 for very nice panniers,and that is including the mounting hardware.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
That sounds great. I've been saving all my kitty litter boxes to make some.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I guess me and you are the only one with pics of our commuters on this forum;) Well I have the supports finished,now just for the boxes to be bought and mounted.Raced a 5K this AM,came back,ate a little,then took a 30mile round trip ride to my parents to get these built.They turned out perfect!!! Very solid,just need to be removed,primed and painted,but that will be another day...

·
tall old member
1,300 Posts
I don't have a lot of pictures of my commuter but here's one I took last week down in Virginia while on vacation. This bike is a workhorse, I ride it more than my roadbike because I live several miles out on a dirt/gravel road so my road bike just gets used for group rides and charity rides etc.

·
tall old member
1,300 Posts
That's just a universal rear rack from the Trek store, got the bag there too about five years later. The original rack trunk I bought tended to go lopsided on me. It didn't seem to affect the ride but looked stupid. This one will expand about half again as big if I unzipp the top zipper. The Trek dealer sells the racks on special for under $20.00 quite often. I've bought them for three different bikes at different times and always got the same price. I don't know if it's one of those always on sale things or I was just lucky. The bag I wasn't as lucky on. I don't remember the price but I counted it as a contribution to help keep a great bike shop in business.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
New pics.I got a new seat,took off a lot of the reflective stuff,added a rack bag,nashbar bar ends,another bottle cage,added new toe strap pedals,repositioned rear reflectors and added them my bag,added a "daytime blinky"to the handle bars,added the red matching blinky to my helmet and painted the headlight mounts to match the bike.......

And please can I get some other pics in this thread!!!!!!!!!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
I don't carry a camera when I ride so I can't add pics.

and your bike is lookin' NICE!

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks Nigal!!!! Im going for a long ride/run tomorrow,probably get some more pics then.
And get some pics up,shine up the bike and let us see!!!

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just removed all the commuter stuff,rear rack,headlights,trunk bag,etc...She is naked!!!!

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
I need to take a few new pics as I have a Brooks B17 on Old Blue now and some new grips I'm still not sure about. I'm in the process of finding some nice flat peddles for it and I'm agonizing over what handle bars I want to change to. Here's the old pics.

And the Clubman which I also use...

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I need to take a few new pics as I have a Brooks B17 on Old Blue now and some new grips I'm still not sure about. I'm in the process of finding some nice flat peddles for it and I'm agonizing over what handle bars I want to change to. Here's the old pics.

And the Clubman which I also use...

Hey nigal,both of those are very nice,really digging the rack on the raleigh!!!!! Damn,"old blue"is capable of hauling a LOT,is all the luggage for touring or commuting? And which bike do you use the trailer on?

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,507 Posts
I got the rack on sale from REI. It's very nice looking wood. I have the matching front rack but don't have the canti brakes to mount it on the Clubman.

I use blue for grocery runs and odd store errands and just pleasure riding. I use the Raleigh for road trips but use both with trailer.

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here is my touring / commuting bike.

An English Raleigh Pioneer Trail circa 1997

Here with rear rack and paniers in April at start of day 2 of 3 on the C&O canal, Hancock MD

Here shown without rear rack and paniers in commuting mode.

Very nice! I like to keep mine in non-commuting mode if at all possible with no racks,bags,etc.Did you buy it new?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts