Pittsburgh to DC Trail

Discussion in 'Trail & Ride Reports' started by longjohn, Sep 12, 2016.

1. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Well I didn't post anything during my ride. I was lucky to have enough battery power to take pictures and log Strava. I couldn't find any outlets on the Paw Paw trees to plug in and recharge my phone.

We started at Point State Park downtown Pittsburgh on September third and finished the ride on September eleventh.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

We had really nice weather except some people complained about the heat on the southern part of the ride and we had one day of rain and thunderstorms with lightning with nowhere to find shelter. Just have to keep pedaling and hope you don't get struck by lightning.

Attached Files:

3. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

I don't know why this forum is turning my photos sideways but it's annoying. The humidity stayed around 100% and the temps reached over 100 degrees. The rain only cooled us off while it was coming down, the temp stayed up and so did the humidity. Riding through the mud really got the bikes dirty.

Attached Files:

4. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

I took a picture on the Big Slackwater, 13 million of our tax dollars at work. It is kind of cool but I wouldn't spend money I don't have on it, it wasn't that bad taking the detour.

Attached Files:

5. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

Loved the posts, Long! Really makes me want to take another trip on the trail! Best part of the trail, Paw Paw Tunnel. Worst part of the trail was ohiopyle park. Climbing by got to the campsite with bike and gear.
    Was the picture of the bikes at the posts at Round Bottom?
    I recall my first trip. The mud was so bad, we hit Hancock and literally washed off bikes and all, in the car wash!
    You got some great memories here,sir! Been wondering about your ride. Thanks for sharing

6. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Great stuff. Would love to do rides like this and see the country by bike instead of driving somewhere and riding in big circle loops inside a park or around town. Don't get me wrong, I love all riding but this type is very rare in my biking history. Nice for it to be more frequent in the future. Nice to do some long adventure such as this with the wife. This is important stuff and need to make time for it. Already regret it enough for not doing so more often.

7. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

Quit putting it off I12ride ! You're not getting any younger. How Longjohn did it is one way of doing it. By taking a BOBB. How I did my journey was another way, by taking as little as possible. There's another way, by credit card, and staying at B&Bs, inns, motels, etc. On this trail, food is abundant. Water is there. Camping can be had for free along this way.
    I said the same thing, my first time on this trail: "one can see more by bicycle than by car, because the bike is going where the car cannot!"
    I'll be honest, the first half (Pittsburgh to Cumberland) is crushed compacted limestone. Very doable with about any bike! Prefer nothing less than the fattest tire you can put on it, though, but I did mine with 28s, on an aluminum frame with carbon fork Lomond Etape. The second time I did it was a Schwinn Traveller 3.The second part (from Cumberland to DC), is more raw than the first part. Potholes, ruts, stones.... the character of both trails is what makes the journey so memorable!
    If the trail is not what thrills you, try a road trip to a distant place, say, from border to border of your state. I did that, once, also. Nothing like it! Great experience!.
    The best I can tell to encourage others is the "age factor". Don't put it off. It's better to say you tried it,and maybe failed in trying this time, but it's better than saying "I wish I had done that". LIVE IT!
    Sorry, I'm always impassioned when it comes to stuff like this.:D:thumbsup:

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  8. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

The picture of the bikes leaning on posts was the group campsite at Confluence, it had electric and water on site and was separated from all of the car campers but we could go over and use the shower house at main camp. It was the best campsite of the whole trip. Charged all the phones, filled all the water bottles, right in camp.

9. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Here is a picture of me at mile marker 0 at the end of the ride. They hide that thing pretty well. We met many riders at the train station that were going home without ever having found it. After finding it we still had to ride six miles through downtown DC to get to our place we were staying and then to the train station the next day. Lots of activity in DC Saturday and Sunday September 11,

Attached Files:

10. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

Here is what my rear tire looked like at the end of the trip. I bought a new one yesterday and mounted it, ready for next adventure.

Attached Files:

11. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

Glad it waited until the end of the trip to look like that.

12. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

^^^@ Mile Zero: I recall quite well! First ride my two other friends and I took, we hit "mile 0" in Georgetown....... not realizing it was farther down the trail! Second ride, by friend and I went the distance and found it! We found a sense of completion! Even though we now were heading BACK to Pittsburgh, from there. Very, very nice ride, Long, and your friends!

13. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

Whoa! Worst tire i believe i've ever seen! Wowsers!

14. longjohn

longjohn tall old member

It still held air. I didn't know it was like that until I was loading it in my car after the ride.