Please Help: Does anyone know what kind this is?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by alyssamavon, Apr 25, 2010.

1. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

I don't really know anything about vintage bicycles, but I found this in my mother-in-law's shed and wanted to restore it. She said she is pretty sure she got it when she was around then years old, give or takea year or two; she is now 61. The stamp on it says M.O.T 11x7 592836 . If anyone can help me find out what kind of bicycle this is I would really appreciate it. Thank you!

Attached Files:

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

If I tell you, can I have the doublecab behind it?

3. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

haha...well, I don't quite think that is a fair trade! :p thanks for noticing it though, it is my fiance's and he has put a lot of hard work into it. if you use the samba, his user name is hausey187 check out other pics of it, along with his bug!

4. Industry_Hack

I'm guessing that it's a Huffy, only because I have a similar one in my front yard that someone dropped off for some work. Check the head tube and under the BB for any other info. Are the mudguards chrome under that horrible rattle can job? Better yet, check the chain guard - you may be able to see a name on there, if you look close enough.

5. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

It's not a Huffy that much I know I'll check around on a couple of sites I know and get back to ya that thing is great though cool old bike.

6. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

ok, let me know if you find out! thanks a lot for the help!

7. Industry_Hack

I see a lot of similarity in the details:

Attached Files:

8. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Alyssa after looking around a bit I think you might have an old Western Flyer if it is those are really cool old bikes can't be sure but judging from a couple others that I saw they have almost the same pedal crank. That would be my best guess on it.

9. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

Thank you to everyone for helping out...I really appreciate it! If you come across any more information please let me know.

10. Industry_Hack

I did a Google image search, and it does indeed appear to be an American Flyer. I can't find a matching chain guard, but found similar bikes. Of course, it's roughly the same vintage as the Huffy I posted.

11. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

hey guys! guess what? I was sanding the paint off the chain guard and, low and behold, there was script underneath the red paint. It says Challenger. would you know who makes these? thanks!

12. Industry_Hack

Do you think that's the brand, or model?

13. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Any chance to get a pic of the chainguard?

14. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

here is a pic

Attached Files:

15. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Thjis is a toughie cause now I have seen a few different bikes that use the from chain ring. I'll hunt it downt though at one point igf you find any other marking on the bike take some pics and post them for us. Thanks for the challenge though.

16. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

I GOT IT!!!! Here is your bike you have one hell of a find there those bikes are rare today you got a B.F. Goodrich Challenger it's missing a few pieces to make it period correct but doing some ebay searching you should be ablt to find the headlight etc but here is a link for you to what the bike should look like when finished and fully restored. what a cool bike ya found I would love one of those old bikes.
    1960's B.F. Goodrich Challenger

17. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

thanks a lot! That's awesome to know.

18. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Anytime post some pics as you go along fixing her up though I would love to see it done up and back to it's former glory that's gonna be a fun bike to ride enjoy it.

19. alyssamavon

alyssamavon New Member

Hey. I just talked to my mother-in-law and showed her that picture and she said that she bought the bike brand new and it didn't have the headlight thing on it! haha, so does the quest continue?

20. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Could have been a different year but I still says it's a B.F. Goodrich lol.