Please Tell Me About The Island Line Trail!

Discussion in 'Vermont Bike Forum' started by PapaTom, Oct 6, 2016.

1. PapaTom

PapaTom New Member

I am an avid commuting/short-touring cyclist. My wife is a casual cyclist, but she absolutely loves when I find a great rail trail or easy road ride somewhere in the northeast for us to do together.

Recently, the Island Line Trail popped onto my radar. So far, everything I've read about it is very positive, but I need a little more info before I pull the trigger and set up a trip from Long Island to Vermont just to ride it.

Someone said there is construction on the south end right now. Can you tell me exactly which piece of the trail this affects? And does it appear it will be finished by the spring of 2017, when we will probably take the trip?

Also, she can only do about 15 miles, at the most, which means we can either head out 7.5 miles and head back - OR we can do 15 miles, stay overnight somewhere, and head back the next day. I know this measly mileage sounds like it's hardly worth the trip, but I really enjoy riding with her, so I don't mind compromising just to make a memory. My question is, can we cover all the highlights in 7 1/2 miles, or should we consider the second option? If so, where would you suggest we stay overnight?

We are both over 50 and we are not looking for nightlife or anything like that. We just need a cozy place to sleep and a decent place for dinner.

Any input is appreciated!

2. TruElvis

TruElvis Two "Slow" Spoke Tavern Member

3. PapaTom

PapaTom New Member

Yes, I have been to TrailLink and a few other sites. I came to this sub-forum to get the perspective of some authentic Vermont riders, whom, I hope, will have some exclusive information to share!