Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not too worried about cost differential, however if the benefit is minor but the price difference is major, then I go cheaper. If the difference is a substantial upgrade, then I'm cool with paying more. My problem is that this is going to be the first bike I've bought in 20 years and I am clueless to all the new lingo. I want a hybrid/urban/commuter/comfort/city style (these terms seem to be used semi interchangeably). I want something for tooling around town with my daughter, but also using as a fitness bike on longer rides and maybe some commuting. I also want to be able to ride easily on packed dirt trails. Nothing radical. The Giant Escape City really grabbed me but at $520 it is on the higher end of what I want to pay. The Raleigh Venture 3.0 also appealed on the lower end. Here is the full list:

Cannondale Quick 6 $300 Cannondale Quick 6 Bike at REI.com

Raleigh Venture 3.0 $390 Raleigh Bicycles » Venture 3.0

Marin Belvedere $457 Marin Belvedere Hybrid Road Bike - 2010 Closeout at REI-OUTLET.com

Giant Escape City $520 Giant Escape City - bikenhike.com

Mongoose Kaldi $300 2010 Mongoose Kaldi Single Commuter Bike - U.S. Exclusive - Bikes & Frames

Diamondback Trace $515.00 Diamondback Trace Hybrid Bike - Special Buy at REI-OUTLET.com

Raleigh Misceo 1.0 $466 http://bit.ly/h3n9aP

I really like the Giant. I threw the Diamondback in there b/c it seems to fit my general wants. Is the Giant a significantly better bike than the cheaper ones? Of the $300 bikes which is the best or are they about equal? Should I care much about suspension?

Thanks!:confused:

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I don't even know who makes Diamondback any more - they disappeared for a few years and while they briefly had a small share of the MTB market, they are best known for their BMX bikes. Mongoose is in the same boat. Of all those brands, Giant has the most experience, the most R&D, and the most leverage to source their components at competitive pricing. Raleigh and Marin aren't bad, but their size generally equates to less value when it comes to pricing. I like Cannondale (I have one of their team Volvo XC frames) but they generally spec with their house brand, and their proprietary components are not for everyone.

So there you have it, I didn't look at the spec on any of the bikes, but if they're all equal, you could go with whichever one has the most appeal to you, price be damned. If the spec is not equal, get the Giant.

·
Banned
400 Posts
the specs for the two I said are better plus they have the bigger 700 tires. I wouldn't get the 26 inch tires if you want to be quick.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
My opinion spend more than you want if you like riding and go cheap you will spend more in a year or so to upgrade. That's what happened to me i bought a entry level road bike loved riding so much I went out and bought better road bike this year.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I noticed you didn't include any models from Trek. Good call. Their hybrid/urban bikes use a lower grade tubing that makes for a heavy frame that doesn't feel lively. And I agree with ksr5.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Muddshark, I am new to the bike scene myself and just purchased my first bike. I did A LOT of research and reading. From all that, ive found it all ends up to personal preference. Well ok, some brands are better than others of course. My suggestion is to go to your local bike shop and talk to them. I went to one and explained what I wanted and I ended up getting a Specialized Globe Vienna. Its a decent hybrid bike that so far has been pretty good to me...though again, im still very new to all this. Ill give my thoughts after this 50mile bike ride I have coming up in June..lol. Anyways, I paid $300 for it (i talked him down a little since it was after a sale and they had a few left they were trying to move out...plus the guy was really really nice).

Hope some of this helps in your search. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Oh, and if your going to me primarily on the road, I heard its better to NOT have a suspension.

Also, i believe my vienna weighs about 24 lbs which I dont think is too bad for a hybrid. I know its a HECK of a lot lighter than my MTB...LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks a lot Hack, ski, Ksr5. My mind is always in 'deal' mode when I shop and that will work against me here. The Giant and the Raleigh Venture 3.0 are the only ones I've checked out in person. The rest seem like good deals online. Hack, I kinda suspected what you said about Diamondback and Mongoose. I remember them from the 70's, early 80's when the 1st BMX bikes came out and we all wanted a Mongoose. I got a Fuji BMX cause it was cheaper. The Raleigh Venture is more of a grandpa bike. Comfy though. The Misceo just looks cool.

Thanks! Any other thoughts are appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this is what i got

Giant Roam 1 $600 Roam 1 (2011) - Bikes | Giant Bicycles | United States

Super happy it has a locking fork and disc brakes. Went back to my LBS Bike N Hike in Portland. They are a really big Giant retailer but have the LBS touch. Thought I wanted the Giant Escape City but after really talking to the sales guy he was able to steer me to this bike which is much more appropriate for what I want to do.

Thanks guys.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, I hate to post in an old thread but I am also new to the world of bicycles and was just wondering how you the OP feels about his Roam 1 now. I had it narrowed down to the Raleigh Misceo 1.0 and the Giant Roam 2 but am now considering the Roam 1.

OP, when you were choosing a bike, did you consider the Roam 2 as well? If so, what made you choose the Roam 1 over it? I know that the Roam 1 has disc brakes but i'm not sure what else is different.

Also, what made you pick the Roam 1 over the Misceo 1.0?

One more thing, since you purchased the Roam 1, have you used it most in the city or on light dirt and how does it perform on each?

I know that's a lot of questions but I was surprised to find a thread that mentioned the both of bikes that I was considering. Thanks in advance!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts