Plz need help on some questions?????

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by BIGPBS, Sep 28, 2009.

1. BIGPBS

BIGPBS Guest

1. Can you mount a shimano centerlock disc brake rotor on a Terramax wheel? If not why!!

2. We have a broken rear mountain bike rear derailleur. It is a long cage sram x.5 can you replace it with a long cage Shimano XT?

Can you replace it with a long cage sram x.9?

3. can you use a UST tubless tire with a non-tubless wheel?
    If you can how?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

1. I'm not familiar with the Terramax wheel. Centerlock discs require the correct splined hub. Is the Terramax hub splined, or does it have six holes for the disc?

2. SRAM rear shifters can only be used with SRAM rear derailleurs, same as Shimano can only be used with Shimano. It has to do with the actuation ratio - they pull different amounts of cable for their respective lever travel. The X.9 would be an excellent upgrade.

3. You'll need a conversion kit, (Stan's No Tubes should do the trick) otherwise it won't hold air.

4. Blue.

3. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

I don't think so. I couldn't find much info online about that wheel but since it isn't labeled as a centerlock hub I would assume it's a standard 6 bolt.

You can straight replace the x9 for the x5 and this is generally considered t be a pretty decent upgrade. I do not believe the SRAM shifter is compatible with the Shimano derailleur (although you might double check as I could be wrong). In other news- My mtb runs the XT and i've been quite happy with it.

I think you need a kit like this.

I'm not an expert on any of these things but I've never let that stop me from offering my $0.02.

4. BIGPBS

BIGPBS Guest

Thanks I have searched and searched and this is the first free website to help me.

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Blue's pretty good, but I like green myself.

6. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You can't go wrong with blue. It's ubiquitous.

7. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Yes, but green is the new brown. It's also the color of the lime in my gin & tonic.

8. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

Oops. I just noticed that IH had answered your questions before I did. Darn you tabbed browsing. At least we gave the same answers.

oh, and Green > Blue

9. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member