Polarized Sunglasses vs Non-Polarized Sunglasses?

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by RollingNoMad, Mar 27, 2018.

1. RollingNoMad

RollingNoMad Junior Member

Polarized Sunglasses vs Non-Polarized Sunglasses?

Polarized Sunglasses vs Non-Polarized Sunglasses for Bicycle Touring?
    and I am asking is Polarized Sunglasses okay for Bicycle Touring? and
    I see that ACA sales XX2i Polarized Sunglasses and I have been wearing XX2i
    France1 Sunglasses for about 3+ years. and my XX2i France1 Lenses Blue Flash
    and All I need is Polarized Lenses from XX2i France1 Spare Lenses Polar Grey Blue Flash
    for $49.99 but I have a 30% off coupon. and I use to use the XX2i France1 Lenses Grey is
    was ok in the Sunlight - Light Transmission - 13.13% vs my XX2i France1 Lenses Blue Flash in Sunlight - Light Transmission - 12.12% and the XX2i France1 Spare Lenses Polar Grey Blue Flash is - 100% UVA and UVB Protection

your feedback is highly appreciated

29595331_1649559565120564_4098299567796092808_n.jpg

Unboxing my new XX2i France 1 white with blue flash lenses Sunglasses

Thanks
    Touring on a Bicycle

cwtch likes this.
  2. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I’ve never used those or know of anyone that does. I don’t like polarized sunglasses for cycling. I have tried several polarized sunglasses and they all darken the screen on my bike computer. I don’t spend more than $75.00 on cycling glasses and a few years ago, I was in one of the LBS in my area and saw a pair of Tifosi photochromatic lenses and bought them. $59.95. They’re fast changing and work well in all lighting conditions as well as nighttime. Replacement lens are about $30.00.

cwtch likes this.

3. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

I generally like polarized lenses, but agree with John_V that they interfere with viewing bike computers and other screens.

I've also experienced an annoying phenomenon whereby if I buy a nice pair of sunglasses, I'll love them for a period of weeks or maybe months before they are inevitably lost or destroyed.

Let me grab a cheap pair from a gas station, on the other hand, and I'll have them b!tches for years. When they finally do fail, a visit to the gas station puts me back in lenses for ~$20.

I really like amber lenses for the added clarity they offer, especially in reduced lighting conditions. Unfortunately, I haven't found a set which deals effectively with full sunlight. YMMV, of course. Though my vision is really good, my eyes are light sensitive to the point that I began wearing sunglasses by necessity back in 4th grade.

John_V and cwtch like this.
  4. cwtch

cwtch Well-Known Member

I second John in that Tifosi makes a great and very affordable product. Has good warranty and is likened to Oakley or Spy but without the crazy cost.
    I have some polqrized glasses and some not.
    Key to me is that they are shatter proof and offer UV protection. Outside that it is whatever I find on discount.

John_V and MilesR like this.
  5. Michigander

Michigander Member

I've been wearing polarized and non polarized KD's from PC sun for about 15 years (very cheap and effective, and I also have the problem where I lose pricey ones but keep these about 5 to 7 years) and never noticed too much of a difference to be honest. Though in fairness I have never in my life used a computer on a bicycle, and can't speak to any issues with that.

John_V and newleaf150 like this.
  6. Dos_Ruedas

Dos_Ruedas Well-Known Member

Oddly, when reading this, I didn't have an immediate answer. I swear by polarized, backside AR sunglasses in my vehicle, but I don't wear this type of lens when riding.
    Why?
    I just don't know.

In a past life, I was an active Optician. I keep up with my CE's and retain my board certification. However, I didn't know the answer for "is polarization good for riding."

I guess there have been too many years, since I actively worked that field.
    Anyway, I believe I'll do a test a few times near the house. And compare nonpolarized to polarized.

Until then, here's part of a continuing ed document that sheds light (or not, if it's polarized ) on the issue.
    It's written by Alexander Bennett:

WHY POLARIZED LENSES?
    The advantages to the consumer are invaluable in creating a better visual experience during daytime activities. First, they remove reflections in the form of scatter (“visual noise” as the reflected short wavelengths are polarized and crisscross over one another). This is called Rayleigh’s Effect and is a major reason that polarized lenses are so comfortable overall. Secondly, polarized lenses increase color saturation to the viewer by increasing edge contrast and color variations of an object. Because of this, environments look more vivid than if observed by the unaided eye: Leaves are a vibrant green, and the sky is a darker hue of blue. By eliminating blinding glare, polarized sunglasses provide visibility of an otherwise hidden object for the wearer. This is important for spotting debris and road imperfections whether on a bicycle, motorcycle or while driving a car.

Anti-reflective coatings, especially on the back surface of polarized lenses, are a requirement for the best sunglasses. These coatings improve acuity while driving and should be recommended to anyone wearing sunglasses when commuting. This option eliminates distracting reflections from objects behind the wearer, most noticeably the image of the wearers’ eye reflected on the inside of the lens, which can obstruct vision. Some premium anti-reflective coatings also prevent harmful UV from being reflected into the eye when the sun is behind the wearer.

In competitive sports, back-surface reflections can get in the way of a critical decision leading to poorer performance or a loss of the event. As a cyclist, I can attest to the importance of the best optics while looking at the road for hours at a time. The visual demand is intense: constantly scanning for debris and imperfections while managing your position next to other cyclists—sometimes only inches away from you. The action is very fast, and split-sec-ond decisions are constantly being made—do you drink water now or press on a bit further? The wrong move could cost you valuable time or your position in the peloton. At worst, it could mean an accident, causing injury to yourself or others. Even an insect can lead to disaster: A bug contacting a rider’s face at 30 mph can be quite shocking and jar the most skilled rider. This is why states without helmet laws will mandate eye protection for motorcyclists.

newleaf150 and John_V like this.
  7. John_V

John_V Well-Known Member Tavern Member

^^^ Well, there you have it! I won’t be needing polarized glasses since I seriously doubt I’ll ever be in a peloton at 30 mph.

8. superj

superj still learning Tavern Member

I wonder if my sun glasses a re polarized? I know the pair I just lost Thursday (I have had for about 12 years) were not polarized, they were the ballistic 2.0 the military was issued in the middle east. I have never lost a pair of sunglasses, till Thursday :(

my new pair, I am not sure if they are or not. they are Oakley also but I don't remember if the lenses are polarized or not. can I tell by looking at them?

John_V likes this.
  9. superj

my current pair are jaw breakers. I just don't know if they are polarized or not. my wife bought them for me for my birthday last year

John_V likes this.
  10. qmsdc15

qmsdc15 Well-Known Member

If the lens are removable you can try this trick, or use a second pair of sunglasses that you know are polarized. Perhaps you can find polarized glasses on a rack in the drug store to use for this test. Polarized lens screen out light waves in all but one direction, looking through a picket fence is often used as an analogy. So when you look though two polarized lens, as you rotate one of them, you will see the light coming through when the filters are aligned and no light when they're right angles. https://lifehacker.com/find-out-if-sunglasses-are-polarized-by-looking-through-929749652

Dos_Ruedas, RollingNoMad and John_V like this.
  11. superj

wow, that's crazy. I will try it out

12. superj

ok, ran into the local Oakley rep at the bike store ride last night. he said these are not polarized.

still no sign of my other ones :(

RollingNoMad likes this.
  13. RollingNoMad

I am wearing XX2i France 1 Sunglasses and All that I need is to buy spare lens Polarized with 30% off of $49.99

14. RollingNoMad

I have a Code for -$59.99 off XX2i France 1 and XX2i France 2 Sunglasses look at my YouTube Video