Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag... We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language.. And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people.'
Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Attachments

·
DX's Biggest Member
793 Posts
Teddy could put it out there, couldn't he?

A bit more eloquent that my own (seen on a T-shirt in the 90's): "Speak English or get the f*** out."

·
Registered
567 Posts
Doesn't help the assimilating thing when every frikk'n road sign, phone book, restaurant menu, grocery store aisle maps, his/her bathroom doors, etc etc etc are bi-lingual. :mad::thumbsup:

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Keep in mind that the immigrants Roosevelt was speaking of mostly came here by boat, at a great expense, intent on settling in the "Land of Opportunity". Many brought skills that were in demand here, and had plans for starting a business and family. (Ironically, he made this quote the year after Upton Sinclair wrote The Jungle). They had little chance of returning home, and many didn't want to. Please don't take that quote out of context and try to apply it to Spanish-speaking immigrants that can come and go almost at will.

For the record, my dad's folks were Russian immigrants, my mom's were Romanian. I'm only a 2nd generation American. And I've brought three immigrants (Aussies) into this country myself.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts