Two Spoke Forums banner
5101 - 5120 of 5160 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,802 Posts

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,706 Posts
Dogs definitely do complicate travel plans. Colorado is remarkably pet friendly, but there are still a lot of things to consider. Mrs. Newleaf and I end up ordering out more and eating in restaurants less when Chip (and formerly Maverick, RIP) are along for the trip. When the weather is better, there are a fair number of restaurants with outdoor seating areas in which dogs are allowed. One thing which caught me by surprise was the need to stop more frequently when traveling with a dog, especially as the sole human.

Once upon a time, I did a lot of distance driving and trained myself to only stop when forced to do so by the need to refuel. These days I'm less driven to get there now, now, now, but old habits persist. Road tripping with Chip has helped remind me that stopping more frequently than absolutely necessary can be nice. On a semi-recent trip to AZ, it was partly Chip's need to stop for water and leg stretching which led me to stop at Goosenecks State Park. It was just off my route and I thought I remembered visiting by dinosaur back on a childhood trip.

Granted, I could have stopped on the side of the road and saved the Park's $5 entry fee, but then I would have missed one heck of a view while Chip got on with the serious business of sniffing everything in range :). True to its name, the park is situated overlooking a so-called 'meander' in the San Juan River. A meander is a spot where a river's course gets twisty. In this case it covers 6mi while advancing a mere 1.5mi 'as the crow flies'. As it's been at this for 300 million years, it's carved some 1,000 feet down in the interim. It's one heck of a sight. One I would likely have missed if not for Chip's need to stop more frequently.
Cloud Sky Bedrock Natural landscape Terrain

That was quite a visually impressive trip. Chip didn't care much for the scenery, but found plenty of things which required detailed investigation and frequently, a quick shower. A $2 collapsible silicone bowl and a few bottles of water kept him hydrated.

In the mean time, the scenery kept me inspired.
Cloud Sky Plant community Natural landscape Plant
This iconic sight might be more recognizable had I stood in the middle of the road to snap it. Chip was sniffing the gravel when I took this, likely hoping for another errant chicken bone.

It's not always practical or even possible to bring dogs on trips, but every time I've been able to bring Chip on a trip, I've ended up glad that I did.

5101 - 5120 of 5160 Posts