Two Spoke Forums banner
5181 - 5191 of 5191 Posts

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,156 Posts
You r generosity is touching .... My wife and I need to get a lot physically healthier before we can start to really enjoy retirement .... too many years behind a computer or a desk, and suddenly a hundred-yard hike at 8000 feet is s serious challenge. I keep trying to do more miles and a little resistance training, but when I think of you on a 32-lb bike pulling a trailer, full bags, and baby Yoda up dirt hills .....

Every time I see a car with a kayak on top I cry a little inside, though .....

I can't complain, I have a good life and great opportunities, and I am glad to see others with great or greater opportunities are not wasting them. Between you and Long John I have plenty of inspiration.

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,156 Posts
I was just thinking that a couple of regulars had been spending too much time on their decks by their fireplaces .... or on their boats, or in their sheds .... or with their families and not enough time posting here. :) Good to hear from you.

Nice shot .... but ... is that a mini-catapult in the left background? Not sure what the other thing is .... at first I thought it was a dresser Harley, but zoomed in, it might be a Flintstone's motorcycle.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts

Far left is a picnic table covered with firewood. On top of the firewood are two wooden side tables we use by the fire. The tables are up there, because today was mowing day.

The catapult is actually a large stack of limbs from the big storm we had last week. They are stacked in the fire pit, but it has rained every day since then, so no chance to light it up.

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
You r generosity is touching .... My wife and I need to get a lot physically healthier before we can start to really enjoy retirement .... too many years behind a computer or a desk, and suddenly a hundred-yard hike at 8000 feet is s serious challenge. I keep trying to do more miles and a little resistance training, but when I think of you on a 32-lb bike pulling a trailer, full bags, and baby Yoda up dirt hills .....

Every time I see a car with a kayak on top I cry a little inside, though .....

I can't complain, I have a good life and great opportunities, and I am glad to see others with great or greater opportunities are not wasting them. Between you and Long John I have plenty of inspiration.
I hope at some point you're able to stop crying and start paddling again, my friend. If it should come to pass that things change, you know how to reach me. I am always grateful for an excuse to take a trip to Jackson, but truth be told, there's a lot of great spinning a paddling to be done here in Denver's suburbia!

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
Today I took a birthday paddle instead of a birthday ride - the ride is OTW. The day started rough, but the sh!ttiness all melted away once I finally hit the water. Turns out, it is very satisfying and a bit tiring to paddle 10mi on a stand up paddle board. I'm sure the paddling community has some sort of 'paddle your age' in the way we in the cycling community have a 'ride your age' tradition. Not sure how that'd work when it comes to mileage: it took me 5hrs to paddle 10mi. While I'd dearly love to paddle my age in in mi, I'm turning into an old fart and that kind of mileage implies a multi-day trip. I can still ride my age in a day.
Water Sky Cloud Plant Plant community
This one is particularly poignant for cyclists: the sea gull is literally sitting on the remnants of a MUP. I've actually ridden it to a little past this point when the water was lower. Most of the section is permanently submerged. The state park where the reservoir is located has seen several expansion programs in its history, with the size of the reservoir growing each time.

Water Cloud Sky Plant Lake

Water Sky Cloud Plant Tree
A white pelican. It still feels strange to see them here, hundreds of miles from the nearest ocean, but this guy showed no trouble in catching and downing fish after fish. Would that human anglers could do so well!

Cloud Water Sky Bird Mountain
The birds hanging out on the rocks are Double Crested Cormorants. They both fly and dive, swimming to catch fish. Another white pelican on the right. There seems to be a flock which calls this lake its summer home.

Water Boat Sky Cloud Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies
Good times on the water! I brought more than I needed, but that's typically how I roll...or float. The dry bag contained towels, camera, food, and first aid kit. The ice chest, spare drinks. No beer, just ice cold water, Coke, Dr. Pepper, and so forth. More water in a thermos on the starboard bow, and that untidy mass to port is my anchor. The big red water dish attached to the dry bag is for Chip, who sadly did not make today's trip.

Water Sky Cloud Plant Ecoregion

Cloud Water Sky Plant Natural landscape

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
Water Water resources Sky Lake Waterfowl
More Double Crested Cormorants. They are actually quite vocal. It's fun to float nearby and listen to them mutter amongst themselves.

Water Cloud Sky Plant Tree

Water Plant Sky Mountain Bird

Water Cloud Sky Natural landscape Lake

Water Cloud Sky Plant Tree

Water Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape
Today was awesome. I've never paddled the shoreline of this lake, and it was a great day to do it. I look forward to riding my age sooner than later. For now, hooray for human powered transportation, be it on or off the water.

·
Eocyclist
746 Posts
As many as 30,000 of these Sandhill cranes come together in the Jasper-Pulaski County IN Fish and Wildlife area each fall.

Sky Cloud Bird Beak Wing

Huge flocks fly in at sunset after feeding in the harvested fields all day.

Cloud Sky Bird Atmosphere Ecoregion

The Twp. Fire Department of Medaryville IN hosts a Crane Cruise bike ride every October with a sunset stop at an observation deck overlooking the field

·
Old, fat, and slow
1,156 Posts
Great pics, especially the second .... thanks for posting.

Sandhills are probably my favorite among the birds I see while riding .... even though I ride through semi-rural semi-suburbia, I often see family groups or pairs or singles, sometimes just a few feet off the roadside .... and i am always grateful.

Last ride, though, I saw (I think) six cranes (two trios) and, standing next to a lawn maintenance truck as if it was his, the biggest wild turkey i have every seen----standing up like a sandhill, and about as tall---three-plus feet.

I had no idea the flocks visited Indiana .... it's a bit far to ride but what a sight it would be.

Thanks again for posting.

Is an "eocycle" a horse on wheels? :D

·
Deranged Touring Cyclist
5,874 Posts
^^ Those cranes sure do get around! I enjoyed them in NM as a child, loved seeing them on visits to FL, and recently discovered that they also have a stopover here in CO! Such beautiful birds, whether on the wing or on the ground. There is nothing like their calls. I dearly love to hear them talking amongst themselves :love:.

5181 - 5191 of 5191 Posts