Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of drink do you feel re-vitalize you after a long ride? I use an alternative to Gatorade made by Shaklee, really restores my electrolytes.

·
No longer a newb!
177 Posts
Guinnesss! Seriously though, I am still looking myself. The last goop I tried tasted so awful that I couldn't drink it down.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I like the Endurox R4. Seems to be a good mix of carbs and protein, and it really seems to make a difference in how I feel the next day.

The flavors I have tried are pretty good (orange and lime). The only negative is it sometimes clumps up in the glass. In other words, it needs to be well stirred. Also, if I dump it in a water bottle after a ride, it seems to leave some chalky residue on the bottle.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
I like this :D

Attachments

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I'm not going to claim to be an expert, but I know the drink I use does contain carbs and it seems to do the job :)
I was soliciting opinions, so everyone gets to be their own expert. :D

What's most important is that it works for you. The reason I asked is that my wife is diabetic, and for her, hydration and carbs work best when they are taken separately.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I would say Carmichael is usually geared to at least avid recreational riders and/or competitive riders. Good point, Hack.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Which brings us back to appropriate re-hydration. Spending a few hours riding along the beach paths in SoCal, or riding a half century might both take the same amount of time, but are vastly different when it comes to recovery.

Season, weather, and geographical location make a difference too. When I lived in Australia, I would drink 4 liters of water on the days I rode to work, and two on the days I drove. To be honest, my commute didn't require any great physical effort, just nerves of steel to deal with the traffic. Not really sure if that matters, but I wasn't digging very deep, just sweating in a hot headwind both ways.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The reason I asked is that my wife is diabetic, and for her, hydration and carbs work best when they are taken separately.

Actually, my dad is diabetic as well. He doesn't use the re hydration drink as much as he uses their other supplements. He was diagnosed a couple years ago and my mom (being the health nut she is) put him on Shaklee as soon as she found out. With that and mild exercise, his condition improved. Even the doctor said so!:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
diabetic recovery

Here's what I use. Got it from an article about Team Type 1.

25 grams whey protein isolate
100g maltodextrin powder
8-12 oz grape or pomegranate juice
1 banana
1 cup blueberries
8 oz water (or ice)

throw it in the blender.

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I like Myoplex lite
protein 20-g
carbs 20-g
potassium 360-mg
sodium 240-mg
fat 2-g
and I like the chocolate flavor

·
Registered
64 Posts
Beer!;)

I am lactose intolerant so even whey protein is a problem for me. I typically use about 8oz of Soy milk + 1 banana + peanut butter and blend it with some ice. I also use this as a meal replacement (lunch) on really hot days when I will be riding in the afternoon. I can't hold food down when I ride in hot weather.

But seriously - having a beer post ride is pretty refreshing and is a decent recovery drink.
Here is a link to a study on beer as recovery drink:
A pint of beer is better for you after a workout than water, say scientists | Mail Online

·
Two skinny J's
21,193 Posts
1 - 20 of 36 Posts