Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is involved with using a power meter for aerodynamic drag testing? I've read about pro riders sometimes doing this during the season (presumably because they don't have time to travel to a wind tunnel). How accurate can a power meter be vs actual wind tunnel testing?

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
What is involved with using a power meter for aerodynamic drag testing? I've read about pro riders sometimes doing this during the season (presumably because they don't have time to travel to a wind tunnel). How accurate can a power meter be vs actual wind tunnel testing?
I think they're referring to the resistance in a wind tunnel and it being comparable to the other doodad.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I think they're referring to the resistance in a wind tunnel and it being comparable to the other doodad.
Seems to me that the power meter would measure output, while the wind tunnel can possibly help determine the most effective use (position on bike) for that output.

Or not.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Right, the power meter would measure power output so I suppose what you'd get is a relative improvement not an actual reading of your drag. I was just wondering if I ride around a track at 25 mph and test different positions is that going to tell me anything, or are there too many variables?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts