Power meter for drag testing

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by summershoe, Sep 21, 2009.

1. summershoe

summershoe Guest

What is involved with using a power meter for aerodynamic drag testing? I've read about pro riders sometimes doing this during the season (presumably because they don't have time to travel to a wind tunnel). How accurate can a power meter be vs actual wind tunnel testing?

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

It doesn't happen often, but I'm stumped. As far as I know, the meters measure your output in watts. Not sure how aerodynamics fit in.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I think they're referring to the resistance in a wind tunnel and it being comparable to the other doodad.

4. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Seems to me that the power meter would measure output, while the wind tunnel can possibly help determine the most effective use (position on bike) for that output.

Or not.

5. summershoe

summershoe Guest

Right, the power meter would measure power output so I suppose what you'd get is a relative improvement not an actual reading of your drag. I was just wondering if I ride around a track at 25 mph and test different positions is that going to tell me anything, or are there too many variables?

6. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

There will probably be too many variables for it to give you any accurate information i would think

7. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

I say do it. At worst you got to ride around a track a whole lot!