Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Resourceful. Thanks for the link. My father in law has sleep apnea. It sounds terrifying.
If it is treated with the CPAP, it is not terrifying at all. The terrifying part of it is being in bed for 12 hours waking up and feeling like you only slept for 3 hours and knowing you have to face the day at work, etc. only to repeat the cycle all over again the next night and not knowing why you are tired all the time. For anyone who has ever wondered what it is like try imagining feeling like you have been sleep deprived every night for over 2 years, but don't know the reason why. Only you shut your eyes and fall "asleep", you just stop breathing during the night several times and don't know or realize it and even though you do not open your eyes, your body wakes up to start breathing again.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
If it is treated with the CPAP, it is not terrifying at all. The terrifying part of it is being in bed for 12 hours waking up and feeling like you only slept for 3 hours and knowing you have to face the day at work, etc. only to repeat the cycle all over again the next night and not knowing why you are tired all the time. For anyone who has ever wondered what it is like try imagining feeling like you have been sleep deprived every night for over 2 years, but don't know the reason why. Only you shut your eyes and fall "asleep", you just stop breathing during the night several times and don't know or realize it and even though you do not open your eyes, your body wakes up to start breathing again.
I unfortunately know a lot about it. It was one of the factors in my mothers death. She wasn't on a cpap though.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Yes, one guy who retired from my office a couple of years ago said all his brothers died in their early 50s, in their sleep. After they were all gone, he discovered he had sleep apnea, and figured it ran in his family. He's 65 and going strong, with his CPAP.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Yes, one guy who retired from my office a couple of years ago said all his brothers died in their early 50s, in their sleep. After they were all gone, he discovered he had sleep apnea, and figured it ran in his family. He's 65 and going strong, with his CPAP.
People don't realize how apnea can affect you. I'm a candidate for it if I don't keep the weight down.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Nope. I've thought about it and I would like to die how I lived. Sarcastically and surrounded by people that don't really like me.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
People don't realize how apnea can affect you. I'm a candidate for it if I don't keep the weight down.
My obesity contributes to mine. But my brother and father both likely have it and we think my grand father had it. Mine is very likely genetic, as there is a history of ti in my family. the thing is my brother and dad will not get tested and even if they were I don't think they would accept a prescription for a CPAP. I guess I'm less stubborn than they are.

I've been told by more than one doctor, even after I get my weight down I'll never be rid of the CPAP, but the pressure setting may be adjusted to a lower setting.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have bin useing a Cpap ever since my hart op., I could not be with out it, what a differnce it has made. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
870 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does having a CPAP force you to sleep on your back only?
Yes, because of the mask. With mine I can also sleep on my side. I have never slept on my front though. For me it was not much of an adjustment at all. For someone who is used to sleeping on their front it would be more of an issue to adjust to it.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I sleep on my side as does my father in law so he has all sorts of pillows to prop him slightly so he can be comfortable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was sent to a sleep clinic a few years ago, by my family physician. They glued electrodes all over me and hooked me to a machine. They said it showed I had sleep apnea, so I went back for a go on the CPAP. They claimed I did much better with the machine on. I was very skeptical, as I hardly slept with that mask so tight that my face was red and swollen the next day. I got the prescribed machine, and the only difference it made was it kept me from sleeping on my stomach, and made it harder to get a nights sleep. I gave it a fair trial, nearly two years, and finally scrapped it.
A friend of mine claims his machine saved his life, so who knows? I think apnea is the malady of the day right now, and the sleep clinics decide before you even come in that you have it.
The machine I had was relatively quite, but I was hospitalized once and they brought in a machine that sounded like a jet taking off. I refused to use that one.
By the way, my friend uses a standard computer UPS unit when he goes camping. I don't know how long it will last, but at least one night.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts