Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
with the Bontrager warranty I just got on a pair of Race Thermal Bibs. They were less than or right at a year old and blew a hole in the left inside thigh area. I didn't think they wouldn't warranty it for something like that..maybe something like a seam coming undone I could see but hey! I now have a brand new set for next season. I liked these over a couple other sets I have just because they are thinner and feel better while I'm riding. They don't feel as bulky as some others I have. I'm ready for some warmer riding and put these away for next season.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Wow great support...

·
Registered
625 Posts
Even though Trek owns them, Bontrager does make some good stuff. Good support there.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I've had problems in the past with fabric wearing on the inside of the leg. I traced it to my saddle bag, in particular the velcro strap that goes around the post. I've since found a much better saddle bag that doesn't do this, because it doesn't use a strap around the post. Frustrating ruining $200+ bibs on a $15 saddle bag.

Just thought you might want to check and make sure this wasn't the cause, Rola, before it does it to your next pair.

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've had problems in the past with fabric wearing on the inside of the leg. I traced it to my saddle bag, in particular the velcro strap that goes around the post. I've since found a much better saddle bag that doesn't do this, because it doesn't use a strap around the post. Frustrating ruining $200+ bibs on a $15 saddle bag.

Just thought you might want to check and make sure this wasn't the cause, Rola, before it does it to your next pair.
I believe that is the guilty culprit, what kinda of saddle bag did you end up with? One that clips to the seat rails?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
still either way, how many additional sets of bibs are they going to sell to you because they went out of their way to satisfy you now?? An extra pair of bibs now seems like a good investment

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
still either way, how many additional sets of bibs are they going to sell to you because they went out of their way to satisfy you now?? An extra pair of bibs now seems like a good investment
You are exactly right. I really want to try a pair of the Assos bibs but i can't justify the price to myself even though they are probably well worth it. One of the guys I ride with has a pair and says they are very nice but he didn't seem to think he would get another pair. For me the Bontrager RXL and RL bibs have been good. I haven't strayed far from them other than to try some PI shorts and not bibs. I really prefer bibs over shorts.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I believe that is the guilty culprit, what kinda of saddle bag did you end up with? One that clips to the seat rails?
Nope. Using the Arundel.

ArundelBike.com - Dual Seat Bag

It looks fairly small, but in it I can carry an extra tube, a multi-tool, a CO2 canister and inflater head, two levers, a Knog Frog light, and a spare car key. You can look at my Specialized pics and see it mounted on there.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
You are exactly right. I really want to try a pair of the Assos bibs but i can't justify the price to myself even though they are probably well worth it. One of the guys I ride with has a pair and says they are very nice but he didn't seem to think he would get another pair. For me the Bontrager RXL and RL bibs have been good. I haven't strayed far from them other than to try some PI shorts and not bibs. I really prefer bibs over shorts.
I have a love/hate relationship with Assos. I hate the FI-13 pair that I have. Too much pressure up front!!!! I absolutely love, and own two pair with the intention of probably getting 2 more this year, the FI Mille S5s. I've never owned a bib that is even half as comfortable as these. Price is steep, but after 6+ hours of riding and not even giving a thought to the bibs I have on is a big sell for me.

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Welp, you nailed it! I rode in a brand new pair of bibs Thursday and noticed the beginning of the wear mark on the inside of my thigh. I changed to an old Topeak bag I had and when I rode Friday, HOORAY no issue. I am going today to get another bag, the Topeak is a nice one but it's just to big for my needs and works well on my hybrid

1 - 10 of 10 Posts