Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not that it's specific to road bikes....but I have a century to do this Saturday and I am WAY over do a cleat change. I hate to change them before a long ride like this but...I can hardly clip in now. I've had a new set hanging in the garage all summer and waited until I absolutely have to change them.

Guess I'll have to play hooky from work and get the bike and cleats ready...nothing like waiting until the last minute, why must life always get in the way. Guess I need to get my priorities set right :D

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Posting to my own post....something sad about that :) Anyway, I bought a white marker pen in anticipation of this to outline the current position of my cleats. I don't have time to fit and ride and fit and ride etc! Hope it works!

Dang...the bottoms of these look pretty nasty, must be from all that duck walk'n

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
The marker trick should get you pretty close.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, just a century and even if it's not a race....it's a race! I'm riding with some folks that are MUCH better than me so I'm hoping to share the work with a group of 10 or so. I would like an 18.5 to 19 mph avg on this one. It is relatively flat but there are some rollers that roll for quite a while with 13% grade according to my Garmin. It should be PERFECT weather with a high of 74* and SUNNY.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
At that pace you definitely want them dialed in. Good luck on the ride. You're my hero if you can pull off 19 over the distance.

I'm tentative to do a century on the 23rd (weather permitting) and just want to finish.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At that pace you definitely want them dialed in. Good luck on the ride. You're my hero if you can pull off 19 over the distance.

I'm tentative to do a century on the 23rd (weather permitting) and just want to finish.
It's my plan to be a well rested wheel sucker :D I can ride that pace for a good while as long as someone else is doing all the work :eek:

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
I know the feeling. I hated to do it, but I had to replace cleats just before the Ride of the Immortals. I, like you, marked the sole prior to replacing and didn't notice any difference in the position of the new cleats. Good luck! Let us know what you average.

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
I've got a great dissertation on the subject but I'm going to come back and leave it tomorrow...maybe...

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the feeling. I hated to do it, but I had to replace cleats just before the Ride of the Immortals. I, like you, marked the sole prior to replacing and didn't notice any difference in the position of the new cleats. Good luck! Let us know what you average.
Yea, should not have put that avg out in public like that :) I will be happy with anything but would like a fast(er) century.

I can tell in a few pedal strokes whether I'm close or not.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've got a great dissertation on the subject but I'm going to come back and leave it tomorrow...maybe...
Come on man, don't bate us/me like that!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts