Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
9ONE6 Rider
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Whoa,

so how I came about scoring this bike. I was driving the company work truck to one of our many parks that we manage when I saw a bike with a free sign on it. I turned around to see if it was worth picking up. To keep this short and sweet I tossed it in the back of the truck and went about my work day.

I did some searching online and the bike is "vintage" from the years 1972 - 1978

I plan on powder coating the frame and replacing all the parts with new ones or slightly used. Also I think that this will become a fixed gear build. So what are my options for making the Huffy better and also a better ride? This is going to be for the wife.

·
9ONE6 Rider
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Unless you can turn it into a beer tap, you cannot make a Huffy better. Well, not in any cost-effective way.
It's a small vintage fixer upper. The wife wanted to go out and buy a $300 beach cruiser. I was lucky to find the bike. The frame is the style that she has been looking at for a while. I know the brand "HUFFY" is a low end retail bike brand but being that this is a bike older then my wife and I it would make for a neat project I think. I'm sure the frame is built well there is no rust wholes or major rust spots on the frame.

I have plans to change out everything but the frame on this bike.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
I have a Huffy in my backyard right now. Blue metallic paint, white 26" wheels. It's a beach cruiser. I'm waiting for it to rust a bit more, then I will put a basket of flowers on the rear fender, and one up front, and make a planter out of it.
;)

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I have a huffy that someone put out. I took it home pumed up the tires and took the derailers off put a new $7 chain on, now single speed. I had a lot of fun with it last winter.

·
9ONE6 Rider
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a huffy that someone put out. I took it home pumed up the tires and took the derailers off put a new $7 chain on, now single speed. I had a lot of fun with it last winter.
where the parts from a name brand? What was the make and model of the tires?

·
one eyed member
124 Posts
WHoa...No love for the huffys?LOL!!! My favorite bike when I was a kid was a murray BMX bike,that at the time was the cats meow baby!!! Envy of the neighborhood kids :)

·
Registered
330 Posts
I did that with a Roadmaster I bought from a customer for $5. Peeled the stickers off, ditched the broken derailleurs and shifters, put on a new 16t freewheel and a chain made from left-over coloured chain bits. Sold it a few days later for $50.

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
nrgwar I would look for the names but I think the parts are long gone the tires are still on the bike but you can't read what is on them.
See Huffy under my cycles

·
Registered
15 Posts
i have most very thing but the frame change out on my huffy. I'm about 300 to 400 dollars in and not quite done.
That being said, if you want to know what will make it better, the answer is almost anything. Any part you replace will make it better, turning it into a planter, like hack said, would prolly also make it better.

·
Registered
461 Posts
all the beaters i get, i turn into either SS, or cb models geared 39 17/18. and rear rack and BINGO! it sells quick around here.

·
Back in the Saddle
106 Posts
I have a Huffy in my backyard right now. Blue metallic paint, white 26" wheels. It's a beach cruiser. I'm waiting for it to rust a bit more, then I will put a basket of flowers on the rear fender, and one up front, and make a planter out of it.
;)
I think this increases the value of a Huffy more than any other "fix". :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Far be it from me to discourage the Original Poster from a project if that is what is wanted, but if you want a cheap cruiser the new Huffy Cranbrook are sold at Wal-Mart for $90, actually have 4.5 out of 5 stars from over 300 customer reviews -- and if it stinks you can return it. But then, I'm getting to be a lazy old cuss....

·
Registered
1 Posts
Restore away

Keep up the restoration. I am working on the same bike right now and having a great time! Well worth the money. Did I mention I got it for free? Not sure I would put the money into so many new parts. New seat, bar tape, tires, and cables will do it for this one. Oh, and a couple cans of degreaser.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts