Project Univega Nuovo Sport

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by Industry_Hack, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

As promised, (threatened?) here's a couple shots of my project Univega. My guess is that the wheels will be off, and all parts but the frame will be in a box before I go to sleep tonight.

The plan is to strip the frame and then convince my neighbor to spray it, which will be a few steps up from a rattle can job, without spending a fortune. From there, I might just scrub it up and reassemble, replacing any bits as necessary. The main appeal is the lugs, which I might paint to contrast whatever color I settle on for the rest of the frame.

Attached Files:

2. Last_Place_Pete

Last_Place_Pete New Member

Looks like an awesome project bike... Definitely sounds like you got big things planned, good luck and +1!!

3. Industry_Hack

It took me an hour to get down to the frame. I only had to use a little nylon, and some time was wasted looking for my pin spanner to get the non-drive BB cup out. All the bearings are in great shape, and the grease didn't look bad. Because of that, I was careful to keep them all oriented so that I can just repack the bearings and put them back in the same side they came out of. What really impressed me is all the parts stamped Japan, and the quality and fit is so much nicer than a brand new bike from China. The cranks are beautiful too. Some aero hoods with bar end shifters, and I could see myself keeping this to tool around on.

4. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Nice old bike Hack friend of mine had one of those old rides.

5. Industry_Hack

I'm hoping to finish stripping the paint today.

6. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Look forward to seen the old ride done up I am gonna be pairing an old Panasonic 12 speed sport 1000 I got not sure on color choice as of yet always the tough part.

Are you gonna keep it the stock color or go custom?

7. Industry_Hack

I will either shoot it with my neighbor's help, and maybe do the lugs in something contrasting, or I will see if I can get a local body shop to shoot it for me. Definitely not the original red though. Nothing wrong with that color, just going for a change.

8. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

I'm toying with dong a custom color for mine to nice blue but not so crazy bout the Pepsi can shade leaning towards all silver with black lugs for mine

9. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

that is cool and i see why you need a saddle... pm me a shipping address!

10. Industry_Hack

Getting into the tight spots to remove the paint is taking longer than expected, but should be done this weekend. I also need to inspect all the components to make sure they're in good shape. Hopefully, they just need a cleaning.

11. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

Nuovo Sport memory's

I used to sell those bikes in the early eighties when I got a job at the first real bike shop I ever worked at. I must have sold a zillion of those things. At the time it was a really good deal for not a lot of cash. They had Suntour derailleurs,SR cranks and Dia Comp brakes. with chromoly main tubes and alloy wheels.

I don't remember if they had five or six speed freewheels (I think five) but, those bike were bomb proof. The only thing I was not happy about was that they had Save-t-levers for the brakes and bolt on rear hubs.

I think they had 27 by 1 and 1/4 tires but I can't be sure.

A good little bike. Not a top line by any means ,but something that would blow the doors of a a Varsity.

mike

12. Industry_Hack

I really can't fault the bike. It would have been decent for its time, and certainly better than some of what you see that passes for a bike at America's favorite crap retailer today.

13. bikebum1975

bikebum1975 Rat Biker

Beats any china made bike for sure lol

14. Industry_Hack

I was having a great time cleaning up the lugs until my Dremel battery died. Then the spare battery died too. So I took out my camera (I have a lot of camera batteries) and got a few shots. The photos don't do the lugs justice. They're pretty sharp, and have a nice shape to them. There is just a sliver of brass visible in each one.

Attached Files:

15. Industry_Hack

By the way, if anyone has an old pair of aero brake levers or downtube shifters that they're willing to let go for cheap, send me a PM or email. Thanks!

16. Last_Place_Pete

Last_Place_Pete New Member

Lookin great, Hack! Can't let ya have my aeros tho, sorry mate.

17. Industry_Hack

D'oh!

18. jbchybridrider

jbchybridrider New Member

It looks like a similar project to mine. I'm keen to see your progress with interest good luck mate. :cool:

19. Industry_Hack

That bead blasting is starting to look like a good idea, but that would defeat the purpose of this budget restore, and paying someone else would take the fun out of it too. This is my quiet, relaxing project.

20. jbchybridrider

jbchybridrider New Member

The day I did that I was actually intending to see a sign writer about the decals. Now in hindsight I wish it was the reverse but at least I have detailed pic's and am thinking about seeing what they can do.
    Here's hoping its not to late.