Proper frame size -- ??

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by G6612, Sep 9, 2009.

1. G6612

G6612 Guest

I am in the process of buying a new bike I am currently looking at a Cannondale super six. I am 5' 8" with about a 31" inseam I currently ride a Cannondale r1000 caad7 that is 56cm I spoke to a local bike shop and the guy is telling my that that size is way too big for me ?? I feel pretty comfortable on my current bike and have no issues just looking for some input to make sure I am sized properly. Any thoughts? I see charts online and they show I am right where I need to be??

2. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

If it feels good do it. Your the one on the bike. Not the guy at the store. Unless it's tandem. In which case I retract my statement.

3. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

4. tajcrews

tajcrews New Member

I am 5' 9" and can't ride anything over a 54cm and really prefer a hair smaller. Take some smaller frame sizes for a ride and see what you think. How long you been riding a 56?

5. squirrelz0rs

squirrelz0rs New Member

Depends on the style of fit, length of your arms, torso and legs, comfort, seat set-back or seatpost angle, seat to handlebar drop, etc. etc. etc. etc.

For reference, I am 5'9" with average to short legs and inseam. I ride a 51cm *compact* geometry frame. My seattube angle is 73 degrees with the seat in the back/middle of the rails. I use 110mm stem with compact drop handlebars that are tilted slightly up. I have a fairly large seat to handlebar drop that is reasonably aggressive positioning, but I find it comfortable, even for long rides.

The long and short is, there are some basic parameters to fit, like a 5'6" person should never ride a 63cm bike, but other than that, it really depends on comfort and body position. The better the body position, the more efficient you body moves and the faster you can go with the same amount of effort. That being said, sometimes it takes a while to become able to physiologically ride efficiently and the best "fitting" bike may not be the most comfortable bike at the time. All in all, get a professional fit done ($100 bucks or more, depending) and make sure this guy or gal discusses goals, training, etc. with you so that he knows whether you are looking for something comfortable now, or something you will work and train with the intent to being efficient and more comfortable later on.

Just my 2 cents.

6. darkangel

darkangel Guest

I think its whether or not your feet can touch the ground, if not, then lower the seat post, if its down all the way, the bike is too large for you.

Also, you wouldn't want your knees hitting your handlebars as you pedal or your feet hitting the front tire when you turn it cause they are too long...

I found a bike once which I couldn't turn because the front tire hit the pedals!

7. stdu007

stdu007 New Member

Here my experience with my last buy .... first thing choose a store where the people know what they talking about and where they sold a good brank of bike (trek, specialized,cannondale ... ) those people inside these store are road rider (almost of the time) and they can fit you on a bike and let you go on a road test ride ... before i choose mine i make several road test with different frame size i'm between 54 an 56cm (frame size) so after some discussion with the guy there we find that my best position is on a 56cm ... so he set up the bike for the last time (ganged for a shorter stem) and i ready to go .... after a couple a miles (500) i'm very happy with it no but's pain, nothing ... and it cost me a big zero nada $$$$ ... these guy are posionnated person and they want you to be one of them ... good ride hope you find a good one for you !! :rolleyes:

8. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Your feet should never be able to touch the ground on a traditional road bike.
    At the bottom of the pedal stroke your knee should be slightly bent when the saddle is set at the correct height.

There are some bikes like the Electra Townie which allow your feet to touch the ground. The seat is set back so that the cranks are in a more forward position rather that being almost directly below the rider.