Pros/Cons?

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by ebikejournalism, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ebikejournalism

ebikejournalism New Member

Hi, I'm a journalism student trying to find the pros and cons of owning an electric bike. What do you use it for?
    If you respond, PLEASE leave your full name!
    Any help is greatly appreciated. : )

2. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

Pros: Many around one less car on the road, uses no fuel, and planet freindly as there are almost no emissions.

Cons: Battery technology isn't there yet for strength, duration, and life of batteries. Battery replacements are expensive. Very few mechanics will work on them.

That's the long way saying I've sold my gen one and gen two eBike systems. I have replaced them with a Honda scooter. I use the scooter to commute 5 miles to work each day.

3. ebikejournalism

ebikejournalism New Member

I've heard a lot about the battery issue - hopefully it's something that will be improved. Thanks for your help! What is your first and last name? (I'm not publishing my article for journalism class it's just to hand in to the professor) : )

4. froze

froze Banned

Pros: no physical ability needed, they hum constantly, homers become your friends.
    Cons: no physical excercise, they hum constantly eventually driving you insane, can't go on dates with one, pick up lines with the chicks fail miserably, you look like a homer which goes back to failure with the ladies.

And no you can't have my real name, make one up the professor will never know anyways, besides most journalists make up stories or portions there of so now's a good time to practice.

5. Gandalfe

Gandalfe '57 Schwinn Wasp

"What 'chu sayin' Willis?" :rolleyes:

6. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

EBike benefits!

Higher sustainable speeds.
    Normal bicycle function, plus!, motorcycle-like capability!
    A true Hybrid!

Best of all it uses no gas.

Imported oil is the largest drain on the US national economy, driving the economy into recession and turning the Proud US of A into a debtor nation!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2010
  7. froze

froze Banned

higher speeds safer? then just get a motorcycle. You'll be a lot less homer like on a motorcycle then one of those silly e-bikes, and you might actually get dates!! And there isn't anything nicer in the world then to be riding a motorcycle with your girl on the back and her arms wrapped around you and her knees and legs against your sides, her chest against your back, and her head resting against yours.

8. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

Wrong web site?

I'm afraid you might be on the wrong web site. This site is designed for Bicycles etc., not motorcycles - dating, etc.

9. froze

froze Banned

I am confused? then why are you talking about motorized bicycles? In reality if you put either an electric or gas motor on a bicycle then you have a motorcycle, that's where motorcycles evolved from initially!!!! So your the one confused

10. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

Last edited: Oct 15, 2010
  11. froze

froze Banned

I get infinite mpg on my bike, because it doesn't use gas or electricity.

12. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

Ebikes and EAbikes

And yet, you (froze), are recommending gas powered motorcycles and scooters! ...??? Sounds a bit ... hypocritical!

Ebikes and EAbikes are the ecological - economical alternative to gas powered transportation. Until electric cars become feasible - affordable, they are the "first step".

I especially like that, electric vs gas, penny for penny, EBikes get the equivalent of about 4000 mpg!!!

The first tenacious foray into the realm of energy independence.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  13. froze

froze Banned

Wait, here we go again. Why bother? If you want rapid acceleration, flatten hills, cruise at a higher speed, then just buy a scooter! Why pedal a bike with 30 pounds or so of extra weight of the motor? Of course your going to get tired trying to pedal home because of the additional weight. Just stay away from any of these e-bikes or scooters made in China, they can get you killed.

14. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

Oil Baron?

In my opinion:
    I'm afraid that a scooter, while being more energy efficient than a car or motorcycle, makes insufficient headway towards independence from Oil, it merely prolongs the dependence!

15. froze

froze Banned

Huh? If your using the motor on an E-Bike your doing the same thing, making insufficient headway towards independence from oil. Now if your not using the motor on an e-bike then you would be making some headway...but if your not using the motor then why bother with an e-bike when you can just get a regular old fashion pedal bike.

I'm sorry but I think e-bikes are just a trend that is completely useless. Either get a scooter that can get 100 mpg or pedal a bicycle and be done with it.

Word of caution though, any motorized scooter, or even an e-bike, made in China is a very unsafe and unreliable purchase. Chinese made scooters have been very prone to horrendous brake problems leading to very poor stopping abilities. Reliability issues are rampant with these products as well, with some parts impossible to get once it breaks, and the parts you can get can take 3 to 6 months to get them.

16. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

E-Bike ... ???

You seem confused! An E-bike, Ebike, EAbike etc. is an E-l-e-c-t-r-i-c bike, not gas.

What do you think the "E" stands for?

US electricity is produced from coal, hydro-electric, nuclear, & alternative (solar, wind, thermal etc.).
    Oil powered generation plants still exist but are maintained as emergency back-up or "reserve". Not, typically, for production.

17. froze

froze Banned

Just because you love to smoke pot doesn't mean I don't know what E stands for! All you leftest sit around chanting about not using foreign oil and reduce use of fossil fuel (and fossil fuel is used in our generation plants), and yet somehow you think electric bikes and cars will solve the problem...IT DOESN'T! In addition 9% of the gasoline we use comes from America, the rest from foreign sources. And your much touted nuclear fuel comes from Canada, Australia, Kazakhstan and Russia...gee, foreign fuel. And we only get 2% of our electricity from wind and another 0.1 pecent from the sun...hardly a scratch in the bucket total from both. AND we only get 6.8 percent from hydro sources. So we get the bulk of our electricity from fossil fuel and foreign sources.

Right now electric cars and bikes are cheaper to run, but if the trend toward battery powered stuff increases that will put a huge strain on our electrical grid which is borderline now, which means the government will have to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to update our grid, and those cost will be past on to us in the form of much higher electricity rates, thus the cost to operate a battery powered car will equal that of a gasoline car, and maybe even exceed the cost of gas.

18. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

I prefer to take a step, towards a solution.
    As opposed to throwing my arms up in the air and ranting and raving!

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  19. froze

froze Banned

After reading over your posts, that sounds exactly like what you do.

20. ViBiker

ViBiker Banned

Thank you!

I had feared that my 7 year old grandchild was acting too immature.

Now, he doesn't seem so bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.