Two Spoke Forums banner

protection from dogs

7K views 36 replies 16 participants last post by  salvage_bikes 
#1 ·
From S. Calif. Hit twice in 3 months by loose Pitbulls.
Total surprise, no chance of out running them.
Would very much appreciate knowing what you riders do to protect yourselves from loose bad dogs.

#3 ·
You were attacked? Or bark worse than their bite type of deal??

If surprised, quickly dismount and use your bike as a shield until help arrives or they get bored. I have pepper spray mounted on my bike but have yet to need it as a quick squirt from my water bottle has done the trick on surprise dog appearances.

I have several routes of which I am familiar with where dogs usually appear and I use those as Interval training :)

Might try to find out what the leash laws are in your area as well and notify proper authorities if applicable.

#4 ·
Bitten. Thigh and thumb once; ankle the second time whilst on blood thinners for heart problems, 2 miles to get home whilst leaving a trail of type A all the way.
Spray is welcomed x these beasts. Will take more than a bike shield.
One dog ran off, the other quaranteed x dog authorities only to be freed 10 days later; back to owner with reprimend.
Looking for a more black and white deterrent, thank you.

#6 ·
Although, I love dogs and find that most stop chasing when you stop riding and that dogs I encounter on a regular basis usually get used to me and stop coming after me when I go by. When it comes to pit-bulls, I take no chances. By all means contact the authorities, carry pepper spray and avoid that route if at all possible. The owners of these things are irresponsible for having them at all, let alone letting them run free. My brother has one and I hate it. Even after it supposedly got to know me it came at me onetime without any provocation. I was lucky to have a a door behind me, through which I could escape. These things are not dogs they are monsters. Their record of unprovoked attacks says it all. TAKE NO CHANCES.

#7 ·
Not all pit bulls are mean anymore than all people are mean, but it is one breed that does deserve extra caution. Owners are not necessarily irresponsible for having them, but they shouldn't be running free in an urban area. It is one thing to let a dog run free when you own a 1000 acres and the dog stays totally on your land. That dog shouldn't be harassing anyone on a public street anywhere. As far as turning on an owner the dalmatian is far worse than the pit bull. It just looks cute and is supposed to be the dog on the fire truck. Yet it often has serious hearing problems, and needs space to run. If it doesn't get that space to run, it often gets aggressive.

Many breeds outrunning them isn't an option. Trying to speed up often triggers an instinct in the dog to chase. Pepper spray is a key. Often you do not even have to get it on the dog to teach it not to mess with you. A dog sense of smell is so much better that just getting close and the smell means this guy isn't one to mess with. Getting the bike between you and the dog also offers a level of protection.

One other thing you need to consider. Were those dogs vaccinated when you were bitten??? If you don't know for certain they were, you need to talk to your doctor. Depending on how much time has passed from the last bite, you may need care. No not from the wound, but if the bite drew blood, you are at risk for some possible health problems that the shots are designed to prevent.

Now here in Texas, the dog would have a whole different set of problems.

#9 ·
Here on the Oklahoma-Texas border home owner are supposed to be liable for there dogs. A couple of years back I was attacked by a rotweiler,and 2other muts. While none of the dogs bit me, one did get right in front of me and I t-boned Hume with the front wheel at about 20 mph. After 1 titanium plate, seven screws, 3broke ribs and $25,000, I hired a lawyer and got my money back thanks to their homeowners insurance.

After that happened I started carrying more "halt" and a small .22 revolver that is about 2.5" long.

#11 ·
Looking at a spring loaded 3/4 " x 18" aluminum bar in the down tube. Loaded like a pump.
Hate thinking this way but there is no help here except after the fact.
2 runners got hit x a pack of 4 Pitts last week. One a pro-runner, will not run in competition again.
No consolation for him; I was lucky. I now no longer use certain country avenues.
Losing freedom x the week.

#13 ·
I live in the land of dogs .Seriously, I've never lived around so many dogs in my life. I live in a kind of biker (motorcycle) / pick up truck kind of town, and everyone seems to have one or more dogs. Many of them of the large variety. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, even people walking by don't seem to bother them at all, but you go by on a bicycle, and they just go bonkers. .. what's up with that? 99% of them are locked up in their yards, but the other day a medium size dog appeared from nowhere, caught up with me and started nipping at my feet as I was pedaling. I almost kicked him in the head, when he stopped and turned away. But this is a good topic, its good to be prepared for some bad stuff in case it does happen. I can definitely see possible problems around here. I guess pepper spray or some repellent would be good, as long as its right where you can grab it immediately

#14 ·
I was having a problem with a specific dog towards the end of the summer. One time while he was chasing me I could feel my calf in his mouth. I was peddaling my tail off & he couldn't clamp down to bite me and run to keep up at the same time. The owner saw it happen - man was he a jerk. Said the dog was defending his property. I called animal control and haven't seen the dog since.

#15 ·
We used to ride a route that a dog's owner would leave him out early in the morning. Constantly attacked us. I used a water bottle with water and ammonia in it, one shot and he never came after us again. I know it's cruel but I've been bit and knocked down by menacing dogs. I consider them nothing more than another dangerous animal if that's how they act.

#16 ·
Actually, I have no sympathy for any dog that is on the loose and has the potential for causing bodily harm to people minding their own business on public property. If I feel my body is in danger, the dogs body is gonna be in danger. I will do whaever it takes to protect myself from any animal that shows such aggression. And most of all, the owners of such animals should be liable to the fullest extent of the law for letting such animals loose on the prowl like that. Complete BS

#17 ·
I rarely have dog problems, I've had 3 in 40 years of riding. One dog came out of front yard while his owner sat there attending to his flowers and never called the dog back even though he saw the dog run after me, I was climbing a steep hill so I couldn't pedal away so I simply took my bicycle pump and smacked the runt on the nose. The dog yelped and ran home while his owner screamed at me for hitting his dog. I screamed back that if I ever ride past his house again and that dog come out I would kill it! Then the second time a huge dog chased me for about 11 blocks forcing me to stop for red lights then run the light or get ate. So about the 11th block I heard a car slam on their brakes, a squeal of tires a thunk sound I turned around to see a dog flying through the air then bounce off a brick retaining wall where he laid dead. Then the last time two Pit Bulls chased me for about a 1/4 of mile at speeds up to 24 mph so I was able to out run them.

Most of the time you can out run a dog if your on a bike unless your climbing a steep grade, you shouldn't have to get off and use the bike for a shield. My biggest fear when riding in California was always the silent lurking mountain lion. These bad boys can run to speeds of 45 mph but for only maybe a 10th of a mile, but during that short period their on you. I was told to use my bike as a shield and eventually they would get bored and leave. I was glad I never ran into one of those guys, but I have read quite a few accounts of riders who had and a couple I read about actually were killed. Most of the cat encounters are with MTBers riding off road some place, but occasionally they would be seen by bikers while riding roads.

Sometimes when I take my bike to go fishing or camping I carry a very small 45cal Derringer, it conceals really easily, and I only need one shot, there's a second just in case; but I'm real good with hitting whatever I shoot. But the gun is more for two legged creatures rather then four legged ones. The four legged animals will normally stay away from two legged creatures, it's the two legged creatures that may start problems especially if they see that you're alone and you're in a remote area. Otherwise I won't carry a weapon when riding.

Problem with carrying a weapon and touring out of state is that some states won't recognize your state's license...but that's the chance you take.

#18 · (Edited)
Froze quote: " The dog yelped and ran home while his owner screamed at me for hitting his dog."

Now see that's such BS right there. The owner of this animal is pissed at you because you're defending yourself from a possible attack? Who do these pin heads think they are? If I had a dog that did that, I would be apologizing profusely to whomever that happened to. But then again, I wouldn't have my dog running around loose if it did that.

You mention big cats, now that's some scary stuff right there. There are Bob cats around where I live, but I've never seen one. Now what I have seen many times on my route are coyotes ... I just saw one today in fact, a young one, but they just take off as soon as they see you.

Wait.. a .45 Derringer? How the heck do you hold on to a gun that small with a .45 style recoil? Damn. ..

#19 ·
You mention big cats, now that's some scary stuff right there. There are Bob cats around where I live, but I've never seen one. Now what I have seen many times on my route arwaite coyotes ... I just saw one today in fact, a young one, but they just take off as soon as they see you.

Wait.. a .45 Derringer? How the heck do you hold on to a gun that small with a .45 style recoil? Damn. ..
I saw lots of Coyotes but their extremily skittish and will run at first glance of you. I saw plenty of Rattlesnakes too, these boys would come out onto a road to sun themselves. Not a good idea because they would get smashed by cars; but I would be coming down a mountain road doing 30 plus see a Rattler and just run right over them! They didn't like that and would rattle their tails, probably even tried striking but I would be going to fast for them to be successful...I kind of did for fun!

The 45 Derringer does have a recoil and it slams the palm of your hand pretty hard, but they did a good job designing the handle so the recoil is fairly easy to control. But I choose the 45 knowing it was going to cause little pain firing it, but I also knew that at close range it was going to create some serious and fatal pain to a two legged creature. It can also fire 410 buckshot, birdshot and slugs but I've never done it because I don't see the purpose in it. I like the gun because I can conceal it in the palm of my hand and someone walking up won't even know I'm going for a gun so the surprise is put back on them. Obviously and thankfully I've never had to use it on someone and don't believe I ever will.

The thing you have to remember is that most civilian self defensive gun shots have been at about 6 feet and less from the assilant and only one shot is able to get off. So with a heavy caliber 45 Derringer that one shot to the body's center mass is going to probably kill the person instantly. So due to statistics I won't need to get off a second round even though I have one in reserve, thus carrying a gun with 9 rounds is useless, and carrying a smaller cal Derringer may not take the assilant down and may just piss him off or allow him to get a shot off. Keep in mind, these derringers are not accurate at long distances, it's a close point blank range self defense type of weapon. If you do get one practice with it a lot because they shoot differently then any other gun you've fired. Also I have the Bond not the American Derringer, the Bond seems to be a better built gun manufacture though they cost more.

Keep in mind, shooting someone will create a legal nightmare even if self defense is known. Say little to the cops, give them the short facts of the events, politely ask for a lawyer before saying anything else beyond the short facts, and request to file charges against the assilant...even if their dead!

#20 ·
I live near the edge of the everglades. Many people dump their dogs to fend for themselves. They become wild beasts. We had a rottweiler come straight at myself and two kids. There was no way around him. I got my front wheel off and let him bite the spokes while I repeatedly slammed him in the face. After getting his eyes bloody he gave up and walked away. That dog should have been shot. Another time in a neighborhood a dog attacked from behind a hedge. His canine tooth got caught on my tendon behind my knee. I went down and had to fight the dog to extradite him from my leg. Followed the dog home where the homeowner let him in and would not answer the door. When I called the police they told me they had to witness the attack to cite him. Had to get an attorney to pay my medical bills. They dog was destroyed to see if it had rabies only after a court order because the owner simply said he did not have a dog. The dog was not licensed. In my area cyclists are second class citizens unless you happen to roll through a stop sign, then you're public enemy number 1.

#21 ·
I forgot a weird encounter with 4 dogs on a farm. I was riding down this country road and saw these 4 dogs licking their chops while looking at me and barking so I turned around, but then I saw the lady who own the farm come out of the house, so I turned back around. As I passed the house this on large dog took off from across the side yard in a full tilt run towards me, and the lady did nothing. So I yelled at the lady to call her dog. She yelled back at me these words: "I've got an invisible fence you falken dumb ass!" Not sure how she thought I should know she had a invisible fence; I didn't say anything just rode off.

#22 ·
Wild dogs are not something to take lightly. When the pack mentality forms, you have problems. What ever you do, don't run. That usually defines you as something to eat and does trigger the instinct to chase. Once that happens you don't just fight one. You fight them all. Out in rural areas, wild dogs are more feared than snakes. Had a relative that was mauled and nearly killed by dogs. No not pit bull types, but ordinary mutts that were not really that big. She was older and the pack leader knocked her down and the rest attacked. Only because another relative saw it happen and was able to fight the off, ( he was a big guy with a big stick) did she survive. The closest I have ever come to getting in serious trouble in the wild was on a country road just walking and walked up on a pack like that.

Where I come from if someone yelled at another like that, the entire town would know it in an hour.

#24 ·
I live in the land of dogs .Seriously, I've never lived around so many dogs in my life. I live in a kind of biker (motorcycle) / pick up truck kind of town, and everyone seems to have one or more dogs. Many of them of the large variety. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, even people walking by don't seem to bother them at all, but you go by on a bicycle, and they just go bonkers. .. what's up with that? 99% of them are locked up in their yards, but the other day a medium size dog appeared from nowhere, caught up with me and started nipping at my feet as I was pedaling. I almost kicked him in the head, when he stopped and turned away. But this is a good topic, its good to be prepared for some bad stuff in case it does happen. I can definitely see possible problems around here. I guess pepper spray or some repellent would be good, as long as its right where you can grab it immediately[/QUOTE

I believe that dogs chase cyclists because we most resemble their natural prey. That is why most dogs stop chasing if we stop riding. Although this is an important topic of discussion. Let's not let it lead to paranoia. We all have dog horror stories but that doesn't mean that we are under constant attack by packs of ravenous hell hounds. Be on the alert but don't live and ride in fear.

#25 ·
I have heard from other riders who have encountered dogs that if they yell "stop" or "go home" the dog will stop chasing...I never had success with that. Most dogs only chase in their territory, once they get outside of that territory they think they've won and will stop chasing, but once in awhile that doesn't happen either.

#26 · (Edited)
Hello, new to forum

I found this thread after asking some dog trainers on a "pro" dog forum what to do about dogs ambushing bikes or trying to bite. The website has some info you might be able to use, because the people on the site have a hobby of raising violent dogs. http://leerburg.com/dogattack.htm Owner of website describes dog attacks and seems to support laws and customs banning these dangerous dogs, even though the website centers on training them (go figure). Messaging them has not been much help. So far, they haven't been much use (mostly "go live on an island" and "wear a bite suit" ) , but one recommended a book on dog body language/behavior, and another said she used Bear Spray. This looks pretty good to me. I don't care if a dog feels pain. Something that can chew through chain-link fence or leap over it, can kill cattle and grown men, doesn't deserve to "go easy" on. I do want to just avoid them, probably same as the rest here. I don't know anybody that baits dogs with their own butt for sport. I don't mess with dogs, but if they run after me, they are not "playing" like if they run along in the yard by the road. So burn them up (pepper). :mad:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsgvUohhpqc]Aggressive Pitbull Dog Sprayed with UDAP Pepper Power Developed By A Grizzly Bear Attack Survivor - YouTube[/ame] video of old man spraying a charging pit bull: Dog skids to a stop and high tails it back to its yard. I think its about $50 for the big can. I'm ordering some because I'm sick of dogs. I've been bitten once in 15 years, but have foiled a few others. I've been crashed by a couple. One bit my bike! Regular $10 pepper spray from the gun store or gas station does not work!

Collapsible baton with spring and sharp tip: Looking everywhere for this. One of my friends had one. I think he paid $20 for it at a trade show. It was cheap chinese stuff, with a knurled handle, and the tip looked like a "bell" shape, about the size of a small hershey kiss. I slapped my leg with it to see if it was a joke, but it was solid and left a small cut. I imagine a full force swing would be pretty sharp.

Spring Loaded baton

20 AUTOMATIC SPRING LOADED EXPANDABLE BATON $50.

I think if you have to actually hit or spray a dog, you are in deep doo, because it could just get madder, and some are trained attack dogs or headstrong, but if it engages you, make it pay!

Best of luck, and if you have ideas on how to start a blog about dogs and bikes (dog-friendly to people who bike with dogs and people who contain their animals), let me know.

Bitten. Thigh and thumb once; ankle the second time whilst on blood thinners for heart problems, 2 miles to get home whilst leaving a trail of type A all the way.
Spray is welcomed x these beasts. Will take more than a bike shield.
One dog ran off, the other quaranteed x dog authorities only to be freed 10 days later; back to owner with reprimend.
Looking for a more black and white deterrent, thank you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.