Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are tons of articles that talk about what to eat/drink both before and after rides. Most are directed to folks that ride high mileage or are training very hard. My question..What about those of us that are beginners or recreational riders that ride between 15-20 miles or 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours? I usually mix a protein drink with skim milk and frozen fruit after a ride. I drink water during my ride. What should I be doing? Should I do something before and after?

Thanks for the advice!!

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
toad, I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you could do about the same as those riding high mileage or training hard. As a beginner you are probably using a lot of energy to do the rides you are doing and recovery and staying hydrated applies to all. I have kinda gone away from the protein mix concoctions as I have read a fair amount about the quality (really the lack of quality and quality control over the process of making them - there are good ones but VERY expensive due to the refinement) of them which could be another topic of discussion. I have gone back to just using Chocolate milk post ride. I carry water and Gatorade or whatever your favorite is on every ride. I don't feel water is enough. I have also found I really like the Cliff Builder's Chocolate mint post ride; I almost look for an excuse to eat one :D I don't feel the need to do much more than that. I don't race but I do ride hard and do enjoy longer rides. One of the shop rides I do they stop at a coffee shop and I get fruit instead of coffee. I love coffee but fruit sounds and tastes better to me after a ride :) Listen to your body it will tell you what it needs, you just have to listen.

Take it for what it's worth but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night :D

P.S.
My Fav pre- ride is steel cut oatmeal. I make it in a small crock pot 1 cup oats and 4 cups of Vanilla Silk.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey thanks a lot!! I work with a lot of guys that are into weight lifting and have been getting my advice from them. I loke oatmeal so will try that out. Do you mix the gatoraide with water of usr two bottles with water in one and aide in the other! Thanks again!!

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
Hey thanks a lot!! I work with a lot of guys that are into weight lifting and have been getting my advice from them. I loke oatmeal so will try that out. Do you mix the gatoraide with water of usr two bottles with water in one and aide in the other! Thanks again!!
2 bottles :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Other than really long rides, I've also gone to drinking a good ol glass of chocolate milk for recovery. At one of the local farmers markets we go to, I found a local dairy that makes the best chocolate milk ever. As their sign says, "It's so fresh the cow doesn't even know it's gone yet". Just thinking about makes me want to go get a glass...

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
I'm with Rola on the two bottles 1=Gatorade the other water. For one the hydration properties of water but also for another purpose that not many think about until too late. If in the event there is a crash you will have CLEAN water to flush out the wound. This advice has come in handy for myself and someone I was riding with once.

I drink the Gatorade first and save the water for as long as I can. :)

·
Two skinny J's
21,434 Posts
I have a 15 minute timer set and alternate between them. I prefer water...most are almost to sweat even diluted a bits

1 - 8 of 8 Posts