Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I pulled a muscle while training for Bike MS 50 mile, which is tomorrow. I think I pulled it yesterday. It's all along my hip, what are my options? Backing out is my last resort, but I don't want to injure myself worse.

Thanks for your help!

·
Administrator
9,948 Posts
It's kind of late in the game, but if applying heat and massaging the area hasn't helped by ride time, you may want to consider backing out of the ride. I don't know how much climbing you will doing on this ride and it will make it worse if you are going to do a lot of it.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
It sounds bad from your description. You should refrain from the activity that caused your injury until it feels FINE, then resume small amounts increasing gradually. If you feel pain, back off.

Listen to your body, if it feels FINE in the morning and you ride this distance regularly, try it but not at your normal pace. Spin easy gears, enjoy the ride and have a plan B. (Cell phone and a friend willing to come pick you up from the side of the road).

·
Registered
90 Posts
Agreed in the first 48 hours of an injury you want to ice not heat, after that heat massage and stretch. If you have any doubt and it's not close to 100%. You are really going to strain it more and be out for longer. Is it worth it? That's up to you but strains can take anywhere from 3-7 days for a minor injury to heal.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Meghan I think that was a great move. I'm an athletic trainer in a high school so getting the kids to rest with minor injuries is close to impossible. Overall how are you feeling now?

Knee....that's a good hard workout to be proud of. My friends and I went on a group ride on a flat rail-trail ride. My not so in shape buddy was dying by half way ( an out and back) so we fashioned a tow rope out of a vine and I pulled him the final 4 miles. It's a totally different story with that extra weight ( he's 200lbs). I give you props!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts