Pulled Over On Your Bike?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by cowboy, Oct 6, 2009.

1. cowboy

cowboy Guest

Has anyone here ever been pulled over on their bike before? What did they say the reason was? I am afraid if I start riding I will get a ticket b/c I just got my bike

2. Smiley

Smiley New Member

I have a friend that rides his bike early like 430a.m. to work. He's been stopped several times, a couple times because he didn't have a light. Other times because who in their right mind would be up that early on a bike, EVERY day of the year. So it looked a bit suspicious. I mean, really, who would ride when it is 20 below in the dead of winter?!? I am sure if you follow the rules, have correct lights if you are riding in the dark, you will be just fine.

3. funetical

funetical Slowin it up.

Never personally, had some friends have it happen.

4. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

I know a guy who has made it his goal to get a speeding ticket, but no luck yet. We do have this 25 mph zone where it's pretty easy to do 5 or 10 over, but he hasn't been caught yet.

That does bring up another question, though. If I was to get pulled over, it's likely that I wouldn't have any official ID. I just carry my name and emergency contact information. How would the police view this?

5. johnny

johnny Guest

I am not sure, I am curious what they do if you refuse to give your name I guess they eventually fingerprint you and run it

6. Smiley

Smiley New Member

Hey, we have a policeman on the forums, he needs to check in! NHcop? Does that sound right?

7. paultech6

paultech6 Junior Member

Sharing the road

In Pennsylvania motorists must share the road with bikers. So we have to conform to the same road laws as the motorist does.
    paul

8. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

You're required to carry ID. It's the law. Seriously.

9. Xela

I can see carrying ID to be a good idea, but a requirement? Nothing in our state laws regarding bicycles says that ID has to be carried. Plus, I'm sure there are some cyclists who do not have a driver's license. What about that? I'm not trying to argue here, I just never knew that it is required to have ID with you at all times.

I just did a quick internet search and I see my state has ID cards for those without driver's licenses, however, they make it sound more like a convenience than a requirement.

10. Industry_Hack

I'm pretty sure all states require adults to carry ID.

11. Xela

If that's true, that's good to know. I'm going to call and check. I quit carrying my DL with me on rides, because I kept forgetting to put it back in my wallet after the ride. Plus, it wouldn't do me much good if something did happen, because it doesn't list a phone number or any emergency contact info.

12. Industry_Hack

I used to carry my insurance ID card with me on my top tube.

13. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

thats interesting, here in britain...ooops sorry Great Britain, they are trying to get everyone to carry id cards but there is a massive opposition to this and the police state the goverment would like to have in place is a long way off...

14. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

I carry a DL just in case I get carded at the bar. Sadly, it doesn't happen much anymore, but guaranteed, the first time I leave it at home, it'll happen.

15. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

what happens if you don't have a driving licence, like you can't drive?

16. hophead

You need to be able to produce a state issued ID of some kind to legally buy alcohol. Most places I go know me, so I don't get carded often.

Ya know, it's funny how we can turn just about any thread into one about drinking.

17. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

we only have to be 18 yo or over to get alcohol, ah...i see, is it proof of age?

18. hophead

Yeah, it's 21 to drink here. It's 18 to die on a battlefield though. Go figure.

19. coco2

coco2 Well-Known Member

I'ts a right bummer we have a similar but you can add it's legal to get married at 16 in Scotland.

20. Xela

Yep, we currently have 47 threads and 123 posts that mention "beer". Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)