Pulled over?

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by Fran, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Fran

Fran Guest

I've always wondered if it would be possible to get pulled over by the police while on your bike? What for?

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Yup, it's possible. You can get pulled over on a bike for the same reasons as you can in a car. In my experience, you have to be doing something really freakin' stupid to attract the mans attention while on a bike.

3. bantam700

bantam700 New Member

the same laws that apply to cars apply to cyclists, you can get pulled over for things like speeding, running red lights and stop signs, failure to signal...

4. Sean

Sean New Member

The most common thing I have seen is no light at night. $15 ticket in Sarasota Fl.

5. Jina

Jina Guest

The cops seem to be a tad bit more leanient on us cycllists than motor vehichle operators. Hophead is right.

6. Donald

Donald Guest

Nope, never been pulled over on my bike before. The po-po's always wave politely at me as I pass by.

7. BajaScout

BajaScout New Member

San Diego

I haven't been pulled over (yet) and ride about 28 miles per day in the city of San Diego. I did see a guy on his bike pulled over yesterday morning (5:30 AM) in downtown San Diego. It did not look like he had a light. I usually stop at the red lights if there is any traffic. Otherwise I slow down and then go through. I could still get a ticket, but hope the cop will give me a break because I made sure it was safe to proceed.

8. Minneola24

Minneola24 New Member

Riding at night is very dangerous without a light. I did it once and that was my first time, never doing it again. Cars were going by me 50 mph on the road and didn't even notice my probably till they were 1 or 2 seconds in front of me. There was no sidewalk.

Riding at night with no light is a good way to get yourself injured.

9. Retmuter

Retmuter Member

I got pulled over once at NAS Moffett Field, CA. Doing 35 in a 20, IIRC. I was younger then. And yes I got a ticket. I recently had a county sheriff stop and keep his lights on for me while I fixed a flat. It always happens in the worst possible spot. I thought it very nice to be concerned about my safety.

10. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

8 yr old thread revival bonus points for you......dig deep...........

I've been pulled over on everything possible including skateboard AND even walking. Yes walking, no not in street either. Y'all know I only play in the street dressed in a few thousand pounds of steel, plastic and rubber.

11. newleaf150

newleaf150 Deranged Touring Cyclist Tavern Member

The police in the Denver suburbs actually patrol the MUPs with some regularity. Usually by car, but I've seen a couple on bikes. They haul radar guns with them and will present you with a written cycling award for speeds in excess of 15mph. Fines begin at $160 from what I understand.

In Denver proper, the police also usually hit the big city parks a few times per summer.

12. i12ride

i12ride Spin Spin Spin Tavern Member

I wish people wandering around diddling with their fon while viewing their intestines was a ticketable offense.

13. lectrichead

lectrichead Well-Known Member

My friend and I were pulled over by undercover cops once - some kids had vandalized something in the neighborhood and these guys thought we looked like someone they should stop and ask. Not a lot of kids in the rural area biking so we got 'profiled'.

One of my friends got pulled over and ticketed for riding with a walkman and headphones.

14. Retmuter

Retmuter Member

Maybe I should change my username to Necromuter? Cain't hep it, they have a list of similar threads every time I post. Sometimes it's fun to go on a treasure hunt :p

15. Retmuter

Retmuter Member

On a similar note I went to my state's web site to take a gander at bicycle specific laws. In WA. the DUI laws for cars don't apply to bicycles. RCW 46.61.470 explains how an officer shall act when dealing with a drunk bicyclist. My guess, someone got pulled over on a bike, lost their license, they sued, who knows?
    No I'm not condoning riding a bike after even one beer. Just sayin'. And it's wise to know the laws in your state and area concerning bikes. Downtown in my area, a law exists requiring helmets. Not so in my whole state.

16. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

That sounds MORBID....LOLOLOLOL:eek::eek:

17. davereo

davereo Well-Known Member Tavern Member

I am sure you would get pulled over quicker riding in the nude than driving in the nude.

18. ironlungs

ironlungs Senior Member

Ironically, in Columbus, it is LEGAL for a woman to go all out top-less.... so.... no ticket here for topless. :eek::eek::eek: :)thumbsup::thumbsup:)

19. FRISKY

FRISKY Maturity Challenged

In 1972 a friend of mine got a ticket for speeding in a school zone while on his bicycle.

20. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

And today we have people that drive around buses with the stop paddles out and children loading or unloading caught on video and find it hard to prosecute them...