Pump or CO2?

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by robkyle, Jun 9, 2010.

1. robkyle

robkyle Member

I'm pretty self-sufficient out on my bike. Now my wife wants to start doing some rides out on her own (I know, I'm being ditched).

I'm showing her how to replace a tube. My question is, which would be better for her: a mini-pump or CO2. I haven't really used CO2, so I'm sure how much control you have on the inflation. I don't want her to blow her tire apart or inflate them to 200psi!! Thanks, Rob

2. jad3

jad3 Helmet up, wheels down.

I go CO2 and haven't had an issue with over inflation. I suppose that is just common sense cause it doesn't have any gauge on it. I don't know if there would be enough pressure in a canister to do much damage.

3. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Mini pump all the way. CO2 is for racing. Also, if you do use CO2 for fixing flats on the road & trail, replace it with air when you get home with your floor pump. CO2 goes away fast.

4. Daler

Daler New Member

I agree with hophead. Baut for a lady alone on the road or trail the CO2 will be much easer than a mini. A 12 gr canister pumps a road wheel to about 6 bar and a mountain to about 3 and a 16gr road 8 bar and mountain to 4 bar. So they are safe.

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

On my road bike, I carry CO2 only. I carry two 16 gram threaded cartridges, just in case one fails. Each cartridge can inflate a road tire to about 100 psi (BTW, 6 bar is about 87 psi and 4 is about 58). I have a head for the cartridge that has a trigger that allows control of the CO2 flow. It's an older version of this one, and on mine, I removed the CO2 sleeve and just carry the head. BikeSomeWhere.com | Genuine Innovations | Co2 Powered Inflation | Genuine Innovations Ultraflate Plus Controllable Co2 Tire Inflator - 2425

For me, it's just the way to go. I've never had a problem, and I've changed many-a-tube out on the road, especially when I used to run Vitorria's in the winter. My tube changing days have been way reduced by the GP4000s's I run now, but that's a different topic.

I can fit two canisters, a multitool, spare car key, ID, two Knog Frog lights, and a spare tube in my Arundel saddle bag. And with all of that, I haven't been stranded....yet.

6. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades New Member

I carry a pump! A lady out on the road with CO2 can depend on her mechanical ability also. It takes some skill to make sure the road is seated properly. I've seen too many MEN that don't and "pop" 1/2 mile down the road. With a pump, one can seat the tire and check it, readjust if needed. IF there are any mistakes, she's in trouble.

As far as 2 canisters, I've loaned my pump to several CO2 believes over the years on centuries, trail rides etc.

7. speedfan

speedfan speedfan

Co2

I have fixed over 25 flats in the years I have ridden, nothing but a CO2. The CO2 is not large enough to over inflate in my experience. I have sent several ridders, on the trail, on their way using CO2, no complaints.

8. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Well I will tolerate a few extra ounces and carry both. CO2 if the tire is totally flat. My experience is that if its flat, one cartridge is just about right to totally fill a tire and lots easier than a pump. Need some air along the way, its a pump

9. hophead

I'm one of those guys that roadies hate--A mountain biker on an Italian full Campy bike that wears a Camelbak. I almost hate myself. Anyway, I have ample space for a multitude of tire inflation devices. I must admit, there is a CO2 inflator in my diminutive saddle bag when I ride with one. Also, I probably shouldn't say this cuz it's the kiss of death, but believe it or not, I have never gotten a flat on the road--at least not in recent recollection. And I used to commute 12 miles x 2/day. I guess I just have GREAT bike karma!

10. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

Co2 are a rip off

I live by a good sized park were mountain bikers ride frequently. While I go down the trail I see used up CO2 cartage's littering the dirt road. I think Boy, thats showing a real good example for everybody. Lets use a device that can only be utilized once and then its trash and just for kicks we will just let it sit where we drop it after we used it.

I have a bike pump that has a top that folds out to a t bar and a leg that folds out at the base so you can treat it like a floor pump and that way you can put some presser on it. To my way of thinking the air we breath is still free and why you will pay somebody to waste a bottle CO2 is just silly.

The longest time you spend is waiting for the glue to set up or even if you are just replacing the tube it usually takes longer to change the tube and check the tire (for glass ect.) than it takes to pump up the tire. Since about eighty percent of our air is Nitrogen and not oxygen its not all that much work with the right pump to fill your tires with enough air to get home even if you have a slow leak. I did the last time I had a flat and I did not want to change the tire on the road so I pumped it up a couple of times on the way home.(I went about three miles one way) try doing that with a CO2 cartridge.

If you find that you can't generate enough power to pump up a tire you might think of a foot pump if they dont make them so you can carry them on the bike than just start working out to get those arms in better shape. Nothing is impossible if you set the right goals.

Mike Frye A.K.A. Frye Bikes

11. hophead

Those pumps are bad ass! I might have to get me one of those. Who makes yours?

12. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Leaving trash speaks to a different ill in our society. I hate carrying a trashed tube or used gel pack's home but the alternative of leaving my trash irks me beyond belief.
    Pack it in, pack it out...Cary in, carry out; however you prefer to say it.

13. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

Can't speak fro RetroMike, but my wife and I both have Topeak frame pumps that work a lot like mini floor pumps. Hers is a Road Morph . Mine is a Turbo Morph.

The thing I like best about both of them is the hose connection from the pump to the tube valve. You don't have to worry about damaging the valve as you pump it up.

14. eaton

eaton New Member

I'd go with 2 CO2 cartridges and a minipump backup.

Whatever you get, make sure your wife practices with it before turning her loose. She might not be able to handle 200 pumps on a mini.

15. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

Evean though I have truble pumping my hand pump to 120#:eek:, I rather have a hand pump. When I get the tire ready to inflate I pump it to about 20#, then let it out so as to let the tube find its spot. if there is a wrinkle it will straten out in there. I have loaned my pump to a fellow cyclest whos CO2 did not do the job:rolleyes:. My .02

16. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

We had one of those (Topeak, but I don't recall the model) hanging off the boom tube of our tandem. It even had a pressure gauge on it. Any weight penalty was easily outweighed (no pun intended) by convenience and ease of use.

17. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

I agree with industry Hack

I think that we have been sold a myth. with Co2. If you could recharge them at your LBS they might be a good idea, but the way they are now its just a scam I have had my pump for years and have used it many times. Perhaps when I wear it out I will buy another but if I would have used CO2 for every flat on the road I would have bought that pump several times. I usually carry a extra tube and a patch kit just in case I have more than one flat(its happened:mad:)

Mike

18. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I think that CO2 has its place, but for the majority of cyclists, it's hardly a necessity. I used to carry spare tubes to give away on the trail, and I've patched more than my share of flats for other cyclists. For times like that, a pump is indispensable. It may be more convenient for road cyclists, but the first time you burst your spare tube inflating it with CO2, you'll wish you had bought a pump.

:eek: