Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
YAY BAIKS!
1,556 Posts
This right here is what's the matter with America and why it will fall.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't even begin to imagine what he must be thinking.
The same thing quite a few people in this country are. That the government owes them for something. I feel sorry for people of this mindset.

·
Two skinny J's
21,352 Posts
Wow..he did inform the state though. This is were government fails...It's like the use it or lose it mantality, we have no need for it but since we will lose it next years budget we'll spend millions on useless junk.

On a positive note, my next door neighbors son( 26 years old) won 5 million and is doing well with 6 new homes that are rental properties and his golf game has gotten pretty good.

Trevor Ronan, a former standout pitcher at Woodside, wins $5 million in Virginia Lottery - Daily Press

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
Wow..he did inform the state though. This is were government fails...It's like the use it or lose it mantality, we have no need for it but since we will lose it next years budget we'll spend millions on useless junk.

On a positive note, my next door neighbors son( 26 years old) won 5 million and is doing well with 6 new homes that are rental properties and his golf game has gotten pretty good.

Trevor Ronan, a former standout pitcher at Woodside, wins $5 million in Virginia Lottery - Daily Press

That's smart.

·
Younger than Hack
746 Posts
Whether or not the government says it was right the guy should have stopped using the card he no longer needed it.

Sadly it has now brought to attention the "loophole" and they are going to close it by looking at the assets of the applicant in determining the need. That is a horrible way to do it.

In 1984 my grandpa, 3 uncles and aunt bought my mom a 1980 Jeep wagoneer for Christmas. To replace her beat 1973 wagoneer. She was leaving the house and driving 45 miles to college at 5am get done and be back for work at a health food store from 3 til 8 where she did her homework when she had free time. I would care for my younger brother and sister and at 8 they would be put to bed and I would go help her until around midnight clean office buildings. It was her and 3 kids, my dad paid no support.

Finally she swallowed her pride and asked the state for help in the form of food stamps. They used the asset figures and not the income figures. The people at the foodstamp office told her that her jeep was worth to much, so she was not eligible for foodstamps. They told her to sell her jeep and spend the money from it real fast then come back and reapply and they would give her foodstamps. My mom asked then "How will I get to college, and back and forth to work." They responded "just stop going and then apply for welfare." She declined and kept plugging along with help from my uncle. She got her degree, got better jobs. Now her and my stepdad own a diesel repair shop making a great living. She also kept track of the money my uncle put into our household over the 3 years he helped out and paid him back a few years ago.

For every story of a person using the loopholes to profit there is a story of someone who is being hurt by the same loophole. Sadly the problems are not fixed by new laws. They should be fixed by the use of common sense. Not stupid laws with no space for adjustment to fit the situation.

But still it was wrong of the guy to continue to use the foodstamps.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts