Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Buying my first bike after decades of not riding....I've located the bike I want at a local shop and I'm about to buy it (new Schwinn Sierra 21 comfort bike, 26" wheels). At a close inspection, I noticed that the wheels have a very slight wobble when I spin them, meaning the rims have a slight bend. Nothing that jumps out at you, but noticeable when you look carefully. Should I insist on them being perfectly straight, or some slight wobble is OK? The bike had a few more issues: hard to put it in 3rd gear in front; the chain touches the shifter when you ride in 3rd gear; the seatpost suspension not working... I'm sure they'll fix everything when I buy it, or... should I just make them order and build a brand new one for me? The thing is, I intend to go over curbs and give it some rough treatment here and there, so I'm not sure it makes sense for me to demand perfection for something that may get banged up soon anyway. Your advice would be appreciated.

·
Biking With a Mission
159 Posts
Everything you've mention are things that should be done by the shop AFTER they take it out of the box. All the shifting etc. should work perfectly.

A minuscule amount of wobble is acceptable in a rim, but it should be difficult to notice. It sounds like the front derailleur needs to be adjusted. If it seems like they're down a half_a** job building the bike go to another shop. But all in all that seems normal to me, so just make sure it's satisfactory before you give them $$

1 - 2 of 2 Posts