Two Spoke Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed concavity forming on the braking surfaces of the rear rim on my Cane Creek Strados wheelset. Then I noticed a pair of Ksyrium Equipe wheels for sale at Perfomance.com. I want to "use up" the Cane Creeks before replacing them, but I bought these Mavics for use at some pount down the road.

This is a picture (from the web) of the Cane Creeks they will replace.

I don't know if I'll wear the old wheels out anytime soon, because they are on the bike I ride the least, so I'm not sure buying new wheels was a good idea. They look cool though and feel light when I lift them up. Is this an upgrade, downgrade or treading water? Both sets cost me $200, but the Mavics had a higher initial list price.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I don't know if it is an upgrade, but I do know that the Mavics are a good wheel and you got a good price. It's always nice to have extra wheels on hand. They are a cool looking wheel and if you're an aero weenie you have to love the bladed spokes.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"Rim subject to wear
Made in China"

An interesting sticker. What is it hiding?

This is the ugliest joint I've ever seen on any bicycle rim. Is it already cracked?? Defective? Should it be returned?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're asking me, I'd say a trolling motor was recreational equipment.

What do you think about my wheel? Should I return it, or will it hold up? It looks like it's already cracked to me. What is your opinion of Mavic selling wheels with the crappy joint ground down to obscure the sloppy work and then put a sticker over the grind!?

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
I'd say that someone got suckered into what they thought was a good price for an expensive wheelset, only to find out that an expensive label does not guarantee quality.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What do you think about my wheel? Should I return it, or will it hold up? It looks like it's already cracked to me. What is your opinion of Mavic selling wheels with the crappy joint ground down to obscure the sloppy work and then put a sticker over the grind!?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just for thje record, I thought this was a good price on a moderately expensive wheelset. I knew these were made in China and had no illusion that they were equivalent to the Ksyriums that retail for over $1000. I do expect Mavic, the industry standard, to have some sort of quality control. I did not expect to see construction of lower quality than that of any of the hundred plus moderately priced bicycle wheels I've owned.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm confused, is that one of the wheels that you just bought? I have several sets of ksyriums and I have never seen anything like that before either. Hell I have several sets of cheaper wheels and I have never seen such poor workmanship on any of them. I would most definitely return them. Like I've said on other threads, if you find something on deep discount there is often a reason.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, this is an '09 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Equipe means team in French. In Chinese it means squat. Mavic means squat too, if they put their mark on crap like this.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Yes, this is an '09 Mavic Ksyrium Equipe. Equipe means team in French. In Chinese it means squat. Mavic means squat too, if they put their mark on crap like this.
Can't argue with that. It's a shame that a company with such a rich history and good reputation has succumbed to the global malady of out-sourcing, to increase profits at the expense of quality. There is a very interesting article in last months Bicycling Magazine about Campy and their business model. It is encouraging because it makes several points about how the out-sourcing trend may not be the best business model for the long run and that at some point manufacturing may return to in house production.
So Are you going to return the wheels?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will return these wheels and I want to warn others from purchasing Mavic products. I hope removing the sticker that covered the botched joint doesn't void the warranty.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was thinking of getting Mavic Askiums as an upgrade from my stock wheels on Raleigh Revenio 2.0. Bummer!
I did see a similar sticker on an acquaintance's Askium but I didn't ask her if I could look under it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
qmsdc15 said:
"Rim subject to wear
Made in China"

An interesting sticker. What is it hiding?

This is the ugliest joint I've ever seen on any bicycle rim. Is it already cracked?? Defective? Should it be returned?
How much did you pay on that?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I got suckered. Did you read that part? The price of the wheelset? Hmmm. It was revealed to careful readers in the first post. $200

1 - 20 of 24 Posts