Purchasing a new bike.... help please :D

Discussion in 'Beginners Forum' started by sparkly, Aug 7, 2010.

1. sparkly

sparkly New Member

Hello everyone!

Just like many of the other bike newbies out there, I'm looking for a little help with purchasing.... the last time I got a new bike it was from Toys R' Us, so I'm a bit lost in all of this grown-up bike-stuff.

I'm looking for a bike for commuting to and from work, and I live in a pretty flat area however I would also like to be able to take my on bike paths and I would like something that is able to handle the occasional gravel or grass patch, and be able to make it up and down inclined bridges. I am also hoping to move in the next few years to somewhere with a little more hills to it.

From what I've gathered, it seems like a hybrid bike would be good for me (but please correct me if I'm wrong!). Can anyone recommend any good brands? I've looked around a bit, and I like the Trek 7200 WSD a lot (Trek Bikes | Bikes | Bike Path | 7200 WSD) although I really like the look of their Drift line (Trek Bikes | Bikes | Cruiser | Drift 3) as well. Other than Trek, I've heard good things about Cannondale and recently a friend told me about Linus Bikes (Linus Bikes | Models).... does anyone know about this brand?

Basically... I'm a bit overloaded with information and am looking to see if anyone might be able to clear things up for me and perhaps point me in the right direction... :D

Thanks everyone!

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

Welcome to the forums!

What's your budget for your new bike?

3. sparkly

sparkly New Member

Hey! Thanks for your reply! I'm trying to keep things within the $500-$700 range.

4. Industry_Hack

Well, if you want to be more confused, have a look at what Specialized and Giant offer too. To be fair, most bikes are going to be about the same at any pricepoint within your budget.

The 7200 looks like a good all-rounder. With a suspension fork and seatpost, it should have a smooth ride. The drivetrain is perfectly serviceable and reliable for your needs, and the aluminum frame will save a bit of weight, which may or may not be an issue. It's also got rear rack mounts, which are always handy.

I like the styling of the Drift, but having commuted on a three speed before, I can assure you that it gets old fast. Unless you're not going more than two or three miles, you may find the slow pace to be tiresome. And no rack mounts, so you'd have to wear a backpack.

Not sure what to say about the Linus. I looked at the Mixte, and with its hi-ten frame and three speed hub, it reminds me of the Huffy my son's girlfriend just bought for $40. You're not getting much at their MSRP.

So here are some items to consider:

The internal geared hubs are nice, since they require almost no maintenance. A seven or eight speed one would be a winner. But three or four gears may limit you, especially when you throw in some hills and longer distances. So it's best to stick with a traditional triple chainring and 7-9 speed cassette. That's why I suggest the 7200, with its wide range of gears.

Rack mounts may or may not seem important, but they're very versatile. You can get a handy trunk bag that pops on and off the rack, allowing you to pack your stuff and take it into work with you. Panniers will hold even more. And I've seen some cool racks sized to hold a grocery bag. Get one of those reusable bags with handles, do your shopping, and drop it right into the rack. Groovy.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2010
  5. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I would look at a Cannondale Quick , I have a Quick 6 and I like it, it has 7x3 gear set and a wider tire than some of the outhers it is around $500 but you cand find it for less. IT is like a Time X it runs and runs, it is a no frils bike. The wider tire are nice on bike paths. I picked mine up on craigslist for cheep it was 2 months old and looked like new. I think a good entry level bike. My .02

6. georgec

georgec Member

I am kinda new to this myself but I bought a Specialized Crosstrail and am real happy with it.
    21 speed
    700x45c tires
    front shock
    It's a hybrid and in your price range. I think it was around $450 before tax.

7. Industry_Hack

Neither of those suggestions are very helpful. You didn't read the first post closely.

8. georgec

georgec Member

I wasn't trying to help just braggin on my new bike.:rolleyes:

9. Industry_Hack

10. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

What am I missing ???

11. Industry_Hack

wsd.

12. sparkly

sparkly New Member

Thanks so much for the replies! I've narrowed things down a bit, but it looks like I've also got a few more things to think about now, too... :)

At this point, I think I'm still learning towards the Trek 7200 WSD, but I took a look at Specialized (specifically their Ariel and Myka line) and Giant (their Sedona line) and they've certainly got some nice things going on. I also looked a bit further into the Cannondale line, and the Quick Feminine line looks nice as well. I know you mentioned, Industry_Hack, that the bikes I'm looking at are generally going to be the same within my price range, but is there any advantage one brand has over any of the other brands?

Also, thanks for pointing out the handiness of rack mounts... that's something I definitely need for commuting to and form work and its also something I would have most likely forgotten!

13. retromike3

retromike3 retromike3

racks and panniers are your friends

I highly recommend going with a rear rack and a small pannier bag. Its a good place to put the things your going to need to carry. like tools, a jacket etc. I don't have a car and I ride to the store a lot so in my pack I a carry a set of bungy cords. This lets me strap a bag of groceries to my rack for the ride home.

Mike

14. Industry_Hack

I'm partial to Giant, even though I own a Cannondale. As the world's largest bicycle manufacturer, (they make bikes for other brands in their factories) they can probably offer the best value. My issue with Specialized has no real basis, other than I don't like some of their business practices. But that has no bearing on the quality of their bikes.

What bikes are available at your local shops? And what do they offer as far as maintenance? Those should be significant factors in your purchasing decision.

15. Skidmark

Skidmark Cycling for life

Ditto on Hack's last comment. What your LBS sells is important. A good store will give you a years worth of tune ups, help with adjustments & fit.

16. momule

momule New Member

I also have a Cannondale, a Quick 5 Hybrid, that I use for around town riding and the local chat based bike paths. The Q5 is a good solid bike that handles the potholes or curbs that I sometimes can't avoid and it's plenty fast enough for what I do. It has all the braze-on necessary for fenders and a rear rack and the parts are mid level shimano gear that works just fine. I'd buy another and recommend it.