Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two weeks ago I had my wheels trued. I have maybe 4-5 "light" rides on the bike since then, maybe 30 miles tops.

I had a flat this morning when I went to get the bike ready to ride. Pulled the tire off & there is a hole right over a spoke. The spoke is no where near the top of its' adjustment though.

Question; Is it possible the LBS lightly punctured the tube when truing & it took this long to develop the hole?

As mentioned, the spoke is no where near the tube now, and I haven't done any hard riding that would have collapsed a spoke or pushed it into the wheel that hard.

Just seems odd for this to happen on a bike that is only a month old & has maybe five light rides on it.

·
Premium Member
12,350 Posts
Mileage has nothing to do with it. What concerns me is that you didn't say "I pulled off the rim strip to check the spokes". Was there a rim strip on there?

·
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mileage has nothing to do with it. What concerns me is that you didn't say "I pulled off the rim strip to check the spokes". Was there a rim strip on there?
Yes, the rim strip was in place, and I couldn't really see any damage to the rim strip. Odd, huh?

·
73 Posts
Yes, the rim strip was in place, and I couldn't really see any damage to the rim strip. Odd, huh?
Check the rim strip VERY carefully, if there are any signs of the strip splitting or the rim strip shows signs of deformation where it sits in to the spoke holes, then you MUST replace the rim strip.

For peace of mind and hassle free cycling I like cloth rim tapes, Velox and Zefal are two manufacturers that make them. Or fit some of the newer heavier duty rubber stretch fit rim strips which won't move once wet :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts