Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
old dude riding
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little shop in my garage and I have a "friend" who only shows up when his bike is broken. He has broken two axles and I have replaced his rear detailer twice. He thinks because he has a hop in his rear wheel, it caused his rear hub to explode. I don't know what to do. He has given me a grand total of twenty dollars for my work. I checked with the my l.b.s. and they would have charged him over two hundred and fifty just for the labor.

next time he calls should I just let it ring?
:(
mike

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a little shop in my garage and I have a "friend" who only shows up when his bike is broken. He has broken two axles and I have replaced his rear detailer twice. He thinks because he has a hop in his rear wheel, it caused his rear hub to explode. I don't know what to do. He has given me a grand total of twenty dollars for my work. I checked with the my l.b.s. and they would have charged him over two hundred and fifty just for the labor.

next time he calls should I just let it ring?
:(
mike
As he's not a friend as such, let the phone ring or present him with a bill, a hefty one, next time he shows up. Giving you $20 for hours of work is being a cheapskate, to put it mildly.

·
Cycling for life
211 Posts
I'm going with honesty. In my life I find that my first reaction is such situations is to avoid confrontation to maintain friendship. That just makes for hard feelings and lost friendship. Just be up front with your thoughts and feelinings on the situation.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm going with honesty. In my life I find that my first reaction is such situations is to avoid confrontation to maintain friendship.
I'm with you on this one, but as the person in question is not a real friend, hence the quotation marks, I'd still say that OP should present his "friend" with a bill after the next repair session and see what happens. :)

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
I say charge him what it's worth. That's a tough spot to be in. Are you guys hanging out, drinking, shooting the bull when he comes over?

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
Neighbors (and those pesky LDS missionaries) bring bikes by all the time. I just fix them and send them on their way. If they need parts, I let them know. If it's under $5, I usually just cover it.

If you're running a business, post your shop rates, and give folks an estimate in advance.

·
Slowin it up.
4,299 Posts
How often are they coming by your place Brian? Things add up. Next thing you know you are the LBS and people are calling asking about your hours.

·
old dude riding
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I used to be retail then...

I ounce had a retail shop and then I got hurt riding to work.(broken back, head injury,broken hip and busted all my teeth, ouch) but I kept all of my tools and slowly relearned how to build wheels and do repairs. I am not as fast as I used to be but I do quality work. Instead of doing five tune-up a day I can only do one or two . I still have accounts with a few of my local suppliers. I have used my little shop to supplement my social security but lately instead of making money I have been loosing it.

I have a full set of tools and a Nortack frame jig, plus I have both a gas and TIG welder.(that's what I got when I cashed in my IRA)

Attachments

·
Registered
567 Posts
retromike7..

Does your friend (?) have a useful skill? Maybe you could trade out some services. Remember the barter system? I now have a life time supply of cookies, pies, tree trimming, legal advice. Most anything will come in handy sometime.:):thumbsup:

·
Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man
4,311 Posts
I think when he shows up with a job, you should tell him, you know this will be $$$$ parts and $$$$ labor. that way you let him know he will have to make the choice to have you fix it or not. My .02

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
retro mike, I do alot of home repair and found out that I had tons of "friends" untill I started charging for all of my services. After a while the cheeseballs stop coming to you. and the good people don't mind paying a reasonable price for your services. The beauty of charging is if YOU then feel like throwing out a freebie you can and that person will be grateful for it because they didn't expect it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts