Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a old road bike with new tires. The guy I bought the bike from also gave me the original rims, but there's a lot of spoke damage. There a little rusty too. How many spokes do I need and would it be worth the trouble to refurbish them? Has anybody ever built there own Rims?

·
Registered
19 Posts
you can always have the rims re-chromed then re-spoked. did this with a tandem a few years back and they turned out great but I was after an original restoration.

·
TeamBean84
3 Posts
The answer actually become a series of questions.
What are you planning on using the bike for? Commuting, recareational, performance training...?
How much are you looking to $$$$, and what is most important, cool factor of original or performance?
Original is cool and reusing cooler, but I just finished a project where the wheels were not salvagable and since wheels are so important had to save them for an art project.
I would consider taking them to a trusted local bike shop with the ideas of what you want to get a good idea of what you are looking for.

You can rebuild them yourself but this is a long process and you will likely need some advice/assistance from your local shop.

·
gnar! gnar! gnar!
179 Posts
As far as building a wheel set, it's actually easier than I thought. I looked up a video on youtube of how to build a rim and followed the instructions. It went much smoother than you may think. The hardest part is truing the rim, but it's worth saving the $ if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
the question is are you doing an original restoration?? If so it would probably be the right thing to do. It may or may not make sense economically. If its a rider, then Id still hang onto them in case you wanted to do them later, but I probably would just ride the ones on there.

·
173 Posts
super fine steel wool & baby oil works wonders on rusty parts. found baby oil frees up
rusty parts , even shift cables frozen at exposed ends. easy on the hands & smells good. word of caution , it's slick as ice on tools.lol!

·
Registered
657 Posts
Sounds like if the money isn't an issue, you have a good project. I have a set of old wheels that I put aside to rebuild. They aren't a set of wheels I am currently using, so if I screw them up; its no loss to me.

If you end up rebuilding them, keep us posted on your progress.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts