Race Across the Sky

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by jpmike6656, Oct 23, 2009.

1. jpmike6656

jpmike6656 New Member

Did anyone see "Race Across the Sky" tonite. I wanted so badly to see it but I drive truck and I'm out on the road today. I contacted the production company and they said tonite was the only showing and it will not be for sale on DVD, thru them anyway. They suggested contacting LeadvilleTrail 100. Has anyone heard anything? I'm interested in doing the LeadvilleTrail 100 MTB in the next 2-3yrs. Anyone interested? I'm looking for a road/offroad training partner (guy or gal) in the Akron/Cleve/Yngstwn area. I'm 53 and in decent shape. I did an MS150 ride back in late May on a MTB and did OK. I'm looking to turn it up quite a bit this year. I do have a road bike as well.

2. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

I'll check with Rebecca Rusch to see if it will be available on DVD.

3. jpmike6656

jpmike6656 New Member

That would be great and much appreciated!

4. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Very good movie. Hopefully, it will come out on DVD.
    Here's the trailer if you all want to check it out: Race Across The Sky

5. Xela

Xela New Member Tavern Member

Dang it! Totally forgot. I've been traveling. Did get a nice hike in in Sedona, AZ yesterday. Had a blast racing karts at an indoor track in Phoenix last night, but I would've seen the movie instead if I would have remembered.

6. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Some company is going to buy the rights to that movie and distribute it....that would be a waste if they didn't. Especially with all the hype that will go into Lance's new RadioShack team and tour next year. That movie would be a gold mine.

7. Industry_Hack

Lance. Pfft! What about Rebecca?

8. whyeyebike

whyeyebike New Member

Rather see her ride then Lance....but we all know where the bandwagon will be come July '10

9. hophead

They are both awesome champions and so is Dave Weins, but my hat really goes off to the "regular guys and gals" who raced. Especially those who overcame massive obstacles to do so. I know how incredibly hard a 100 mile mtn bike race is when your healthy.

I don't want to ruin it for those of you who missed the movie, so I won't go into detail. If you missed it and you get an opportunity in the future to see it, do it! It really is an inspiring movie.

10. Industry_Hack

Let's see now. Lancey races with the support of a team of other cyclists that he can draft behind to conserve energy, and even have them chase down a breakaway.

Rebecca has won the 24 Hour Solo XC World Championship three times in a row.
    24 hours.
    XC.
    Solo.

Who's a better athlete?

11. hophead

Apples and oranges. Until Lancey does a 24 hour solo race, we'll never know.

Dunno how much mtn bike racing you've done, but drafting is usually a non issue. Sure, there were some road sections on the course, but anyone can draft off of anyone else if they can keep up. IMO, the climbs determine who's really the strongest rider in that type of mtn bike race and I only saw one rider that didn't have to do a hike-a-bike or two.

I tell ya what though--I'll bet Rebecca can fix a flat quicker than Lance.;)

12. Industry_Hack

My point is that she has no support of any kind until she pits. If she flats, no one throws her another bike.

And she's super cool. When I stopped by the Specialized booth to discuss an interview with her, she was talking to some skinny guy that looked vaguely familiar. She turned to me and said "hey Brian, do you know Ned?", and then I realized it was Ned Overend! He was one of my heroes when I just got into mountain biking. Same with Tinker Juarez, who I visit with each year. Combined, those two have around 50 years of MTB racing experience.

13. hophead

That's mtn bike racing regardless of who's in the saddle. I expect that LA will probably brush up on his mechanical skills in the off season.

14. Industry_Hack

I think this is the thread where someone asked if it would be available on DVD. Rebecca just sent me a linky.

15. jpmike6656

jpmike6656 New Member

Yep, that was me! Thanks for your help. I'll be able to catch the encore.

16. Industry_Hack

Rebecca would have gotten back to me sooner, but I think she was out winning a local cross race, just for fun.

17. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

Movie was AWSOME, spectacular cinematography and pretty good commentary. Not just about Lance, but he is the big draw. I would highly recommend the movie to anyone who rides a bike or just wants to see a pretty good documentary.

I hope it becomes available on DVD, I would buy it in an instant.

DrB

18. jpmike6656

jpmike6656 New Member

thanks for the review. I'll be catching the encore on 11-12.

19. mtndoc

mtndoc New Member

I'd advise gettin tickets early, they were sold out hours before the movie started.

I had driven for 5 hrs to get home to watch it with my wife, only reason we got tickets was there was a lady turnin in her tickets in front of my wife and we got her tickets thanks to the theater manager!!!!

From what I saw, I'm not sure it will come out of DVD, but I'm hopin.....might go see it again, was really spectacular movie, about ALL the participants, not just Lance and Dave.

The audience was completely enrapt in the movie, was amazing to see so many people, obviously cycling people from the "fit" look, so silent and involved in the movie, was VERY well done!!!

I'm not sure the "support team" did Lance much good, watch the movie and you will see.

I agree, Rebecca probably could fix a flat faster than Lance, especially since he didn't even know HOW to fix the tubeless tire on his bike, was pretty funny to watch.

I'm gonna try and see the encore as well, movie is that good.

DrB

DrB