Racing a Duathlon.

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by jeepster93, Mar 18, 2011.

1. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I'm doing it. Racing my first bike race. Well...sort of.
    A duathlon.
    It is:
    5K run
    30K bike
    5K run.

I don't swim...well. Drowning would be bad, so would getting rescued.
    But I run well.
    And love to bike.
    May 7th here in Denver. The Barkin' Dog Duathlon( Barkin' Dog Duathlon: Mile High Duathlon Series #3 )

My first such adventure.
    Have ran several races, a few 1/2 marathons and a full. So the running...I do anyhow just for health.
    Biking, that gets hard in winter.

I'm in shape, good shape, but that's RUNNING shape. I am running and have been running 25 miles a week.
    How long will it take the body to adapt to the bike?
    How long for my very sensitive bumm to harden a bit?
    I have like 7 weeks until race day.

My thinking is 1 day a week biking, 1 day a week running/biking, 1 day a week biking/running, 2 days running, 2 days resting. (that's 7 I think)
    Practice my transitions once a week, too.
    Clothes? Should I get tri bike pants? No way I can run in padded bike shorts, No way do I want to ride unprotected?

A bike race...I am excited.

Anyone do a multi sport race?
    Fun?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  2. SprocketGirl

SprocketGirl spin... spin.. spin

i've tried... get tri shorts! riding without the would be rough even for me and i have ridden over 200 miles a week almost every week for the last three years.
    practice your transitions til you can do them asleep and until they are easy... try to waste no time switching and you can make up some valuable time. most of all have fun... remember it will be easier for most to run then ride than ride then run.

3. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

My suggestion would be if you are an avid runner, which is seems you are, then focus more on your bike cardio. A lot of people completely lose their heart, desire, and momentum when it comes to a good climb. There are many sites and magazines that can give you great tips on climbing. But each person has their own ways of comfortable riding, some people go by cadence and some will go for leg muscle to push them up and over the hill.

Brad

4. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Good luck Jeepster. I have thought about it a few times...but that's as far as I ever get!

5. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Been thinking about racing my bike for a couple of years. Bought a new bike 3 years ago, a high end crotch rocket. Love, love love.
    Colorado only has multi day rides, like the MS 150 and such, and not really a "race" with timers and folks in a hurry.
    We DO have Triathlons and duathlons though.
    I am weary about the swim. The lake water here in Colorado is snow melt and is COLD, waterfowl swim in the lakes here, (and poo in the water), and I do not swim well, and I have NO suicidal tendencies, and know my limits.
    I run well and a lot, my choice of aerobic exercise. Done a few races.

I sort of luck out with this duathlon as it is done on a flat course.

The next weekend (may 15th)I will be running the COLORADO/COLFAX 1/2 marathon for a personal record(am training for this now!) 2 weeks after that is the BOLDER BOULDER 10K road race(largest and most sought after 10K in the country). I have already ran my qualifying race to get in.(55:20 corral E)

I am excited!

6. bradsalex

bradsalex New Member

Well it looks like you have the foot race part of it covered, and good luck on your upcoming races. What is your plan to train on the bike? And to answer the question of you posterior... it will take some weeks for your backside to really get used to riding on the saddle of a bicycle, especially a racing saddle. Like SG said, go with the tri-shorts over running in biking shorts, from what I've heard they tend to cause a good bit of chaffing.

Brad

7. SprocketGirl

when training do a little running after you ride. i am a runner and was shocked at the difference in my running after i got off the bike. honestly, there is nothing like the way your legs respond to a long fast ride and then going straight into a run. the first time i did a tri i had not ran after riding in training and i thought my thighs were going to explode on race day.

8. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I did my first "brick" today.
    I am informed that a brick is the tri term for a run/bike combo workout.
    A brick.
    OK...Brick =Bike+Run=ICK...BRICK

I also learned, almost the hard way, I need to find someplace other than the streets to do the bike training on.
    My never been dropped titanium/carbon fiber bike has been dropped now. DAMMMM!!!
    I'm alive and mostly well, though.
    BTW- the lady in the 7000 pound suv didn't even slow down, well I think she sped up in fact. I was going straight(at 20mph) and she wanted to turn left in front of me, she did, turn in front of me that is.
    ARGH!!!

Oh well...move on.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  9. SprocketGirl

some motorist care about cyclist some don't and others lack the driving skills for it to matter either way. but i have found most are cool. that stinks big time... hope you are okay, and of course the bike.

10. Industry_Hack

Industry_Hack Total noob (& forum admin) Admin Staff Tavern Member

A friend of mine told me that she had to quit triathlons - her cigarette went out as soon as the hit the water. And she was half serious. A duathlon sounds much more manageable.

11. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

I found an old set of pedals with cages and straps on them.
    Hmmm...

How much time does it take to change shoes, I wonder???
    I know the times of those my age I will compete with, from last years race.
    They are spending about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes in each transition. I don't know about the shoe change with them? My guess is they change shoes.

12. photosbymark

photosbymark New Member

Does pose and interesting question. Would you gain more by having a firmer sole of the shoe and clips, than using a regular running shoe and using a pedal with cages and straps??

The ideal solution would be a hybrid shoe. A shoe where the back half of the shoe would be a running shoe. You would still need all the cushioning for the impact of running. A solid sole more for cycling up toward the front with a cleat attachment, but built up around the cleat where you could still comfortably run in them too.