Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so you all know i'm new and prob a little over the top hooked on cycling.. So i've been checking out some racing events that are local.. i have no idea about racing and the "tech terms" etc.. the one i am considering is a week away.. here is the flyer.. lol can someone break it down to normal english and as far as it says 30min race on 1.2 mile course etc. and which class i'd want????

http://www.usacycling.org/events/flyer.php?permit=2012-719

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
There's a link about getting started on that page. It covers licensing and other info. My suggestion would be to follow that link, and get an idea of what you need to start racing. Go to the race, even if you're not participating. It will give you an idea of the organization, course, and competition.

Whatever you do, keep in mind that at the start, you're racing against yourself. Your fitness and attitude will play a big role in how you do.

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i read it that section.. but didn't break the cats down i beleive reading somewhere before it's cat1 pro-cat4 novice...... is that right? also the miles/time thing doesn't make since.. would that more that likley esp since it's listed as a circuit, be laps on the 1.2mile course?

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
I would go to a Crit and check it out and see what it was all about. You might be surprised :)

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
I think you should train a little more before jumping into a crit. Join group training rides and learn the skills and knowledge you need to ride safely in a pack there.

·
1,200 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeah i watched a video of that race from last year... lol think my "obsesive/competitive" personality got me a little on that idea, though i am going to go next week and watch it to get a good first hand exp.

·
Two skinny J's
21,323 Posts
Like qmsd said a good place to start is with some group rides. One of the group rides I do is with a couple of cat IV and V riders and when they hit the 25+ mph pace it gets hard for me to hang for long. They had a race today( and not that it mans anything to anybody but locals) they raced at 25 mph UP KOA Hill. That's a brutal hill for me :)

I'm just a novice weekend rider so they easily impress me!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts