Ragbrai

Discussion in 'General Bike Discussion' started by SUX VR40 Rider, Feb 4, 2010.

1. SUX VR40 Rider

SUX VR40 Rider New Member

On Jan. 30, 2010 at about 9:00 pm the official overnight towns for the worlds oldest, largest and longest multi day bicycle TOUR were announced. The start town is my city, Sioux City, Iowa. The end town is Dubuque, Iowa.

I am riding the full week this year.

Which days are you going to do this year?

RAGBRAI

2. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Oldest: Nope. TOSRV and DALMAC are both older. I doubt they're alone. DALMAC will have a 500+ mile option this year, so I guess at least for this year RAGBRAI can't claim longest either. It is pretty well-attended, though. I did it in 2008, just so I could say I'd done it ONCE. Never again (I say that now, at least!) Too many people for my tastes, and way too many of them having inadequate skills to be in those kinds of crowds.

3. SUX VR40 Rider

How many days are TOSRV and DALMAC? When they first started how many days were they?

4. SUX VR40 Rider

I did some research on the history of TOSRV. Yes it started in 1962. But it is only 2 days long and always has been. RAGBRAI started out as a 5 day ride the first year, 1973, went to 7 days the second year, 1974 and has been ever since. RAGBRAI is the oldest longest bike tour. Guess I should not have seperated the words with commas. RAGBRAI still has TOSRV beat in terms of number of days and how long the ride has been going on with the lenght of time the ride is.

5. SUX VR40 Rider

Looking at what info I could find on DALMAC while it started in 1971 it is only a 5 day tour. RAGBRAI has been at least 7 days since 1974. Again RAGBRAI has DALMAC beat in terms of the oldest longest ride.

No other ride has been 7 days or longer for as long as RAGBRAI has been going on.

6. HandsomeRyan

HandsomeRyan ♥'s Bicycles

RAGBRAI is on my "bucket list" of rides to do. It always looks like a lot of fun.

7. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

RAGBRAI was on my bucket list, too. I did it in 2008. If you can imagine going to a big State Fair for seven days in a row, with your bike, that's sort of like RAGBRAI. It's not for everybody.

8. lowracer1

lowracer1 New Member

I liked the ride quite a bit. Lots and lots of riders for me to endlessly pass. It is an expensive ride. I'd do it again as long as I had some extra funds to do it.

9. SUX VR40 Rider

Here is all the more reason to do RAGBRAI this year:
    Third easiest.
    Fifth lowest in elevation.
    Sixth shortest in distance.

10. lowracer1

lowracer1 New Member

for me, those are all the reasons not to ride ragbrai this year. I like a challenge and ragbrai this year is flat and short. If I pay out money to do a ride, I WANT to RIDE! I'll be looking at different rides this year.

11. SUX VR40 Rider

That is fine for you nad I respect that. For others like myself it is the main reason I am doing RAGBRAI this year. Well that and my wife toldme I was going. I was actually looking at other bike events in other states myself, she changed my mind and said you're going and that's it. I could only say "yes dear". Want to know why just ask. You'll probably find it funny, and likely agree with her.

12. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

NEVER argue with The Wife. Especially when she tells you to go on a bicycling vacation.

13. SUX VR40 Rider

Ironically the original vacation plans were to go to Michigan to do a bike ride. In June I was supposed to do the ”BIG MAC” SHORELINE SPRING SCENIC TOUR. The first day has 4 route options 25, 50, 75 and 100 miles. The second is the ride across the strait via Big Mac.

Myself, my wife and her mom were supposed to go. After the rough year we had in 2009 where my wife lost her father to a very short battle with cancer we all need a break. Her mom has somehting planned with church that week end in June, my wife is shipping me off on RAGBRAI and she will likely be involved in one of the groups in our city.

Another reason she is sending me is by July I will need a break. I am the Worshipful Master, or leader of my Masonic Lodge this year. It is a very demanding job and takes a lot of my free time. I have some how figured out a way to work 40 hours a week, commit the time to my Lodge, spend time with my wife and ride my bike to train for RAGBRAI. All I can say is right now at this stage of my life I am glad I do not have kids because something would have to be sacrificed and it would not be children and could not be work.

We will probably push the trip to Michigan to September when the fall shoreline line tour is.

BP, I see you're from central Michigan. Is that the middle of the mitten? My wife was born in Grand Rapids.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  14. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

Yeah, I'm from the middle of the palm. Lansing area, about halfway between GR and the Detroit mess. I've never done any of the Shoreline-branded tours. The Hundred Grand is on my list, though.

15. camilo

camilo New Member

What's the oldest organized tour?

What's the longest?

This "oldest, longest" just doesn't make sense to me. Is 7 days the longest organized tour? Is it there no tours that are older?

Is this just another example of midwesterner's or Iowans grasping for something to brag about? [ducking and running for cover].

16. BlazingPedals

BlazingPedals Member

I'd have no argument with them saying it is the "oldest organized week-long tour." Unless, of course, someone else comes forward and points out that some other ride can claim that title, too. I agree, saying it's the "oldest, longest multi-day tour" is poorly-worded, ambiguous, and even a bit misleading.

17. SUX VR40 Rider

There are bike tours that are older but are not 7 days long. No this is not something Iowans are grasping to brag about. RAGBRAI is a registered trademark. The organizers and the Des Moines Register would not be stating this fact, the worlds oldest lognest multi day or week long tour, if were not true. If it were not true and they did state this about the ride it would be false advertisement. Something they could get in trouble for.

18. SUX VR40 Rider

The first time I did RAGBRAI, 1998, I was very excited. It was my frist time, I was a RAGBRAI virgin and had a great time popping my cherry. ;):D The second time, 2007, I was excited but as much as the first. I had also done 1 day in 2005 and 3 days in 2006. and since 2007 I did one day in 2008.

This year, though I am a RAGBRAI veteran, I am as excited as the first time. The reason is in 2008 I started a new hobby: Reasearching history and culture via my bicycle and posting about it on this blog: History and Culture by Bicycle I have walked and ridden hundreds of miles, taken hundreds of photo's, done countless hours of research to ensure I post accurate information about the historical site or cultural event. I do stipulate not all the sites or events have been visited by me on a bicycle. The point of the blog is to introduce people to the idea of doing so.

This years RAGBRAI will afford me the oppurtunity to continue visiting historical sites via my bicycle. Several of the overnight towns are rich with history. Starting with Sioux City where a majority ofmy research has been conducted and focused. One of the other towns has 15 buildings in their downtown on the National Register of Historic Sites, Charles City. Not bad for a town of less than 8,000 people. Dubuque is also rich with history.

I am going to try to do as much research as I can before the ride and take as many photo's as I can during the ride.

For anyone who has never visited a historical site or museum via their bike I highly recommend giving it a try. Ride through a historical district and jsut see how much better it is than going by car. It really does open your eyes to what you miss from the confines of a motor vehicle.

19. camilo

camilo New Member

I get it: it's a wonderful ride. An old ride, likely the oldest 7 day ride. An esteemed and popular grand-daddy of US multi-day tours. "Oldest, longest" still doesn't make any sense at all, and they don't have to resort to such a silly promotion, imho.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2010
  20. SUX VR40 Rider

You ever ridden RAGBRAI? Even one day of it?