Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My upcoming charity ride is a rain or shine event and the long range forecast suggests that I might be doing my first century in the rain.

For those that have dealt with this before, how do you prep for this? Should I be looking into buying rain gear, or just go out there and get wet for 5 hours? Two weeks out it's impossible to say whether it will be on/off showers, all day rain or totally dry. I'm thinking if it's an all day rain then rain gear would probably be in order but if it's just a chance of showers you just deal with it and get wet.

The morning temp will probably be a little brisk (65-68) and afternoon around 87-89.

Suggestions?

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
My upcoming charity ride is a rain or shine event and the long range forecast suggests that I might be doing my first century in the rain.

For those that have dealt with this before, how do you prep for this? Should I be looking into buying rain gear, or just go out there and get wet for 5 hours? Two weeks out it's impossible to say whether it will be on/off showers, all day rain or totally dry. I'm thinking if it's an all day rain then rain gear would probably be in order but if it's just a chance of showers you just deal with it and get wet.

The morning temp will probably be a little brisk (65-68) and afternoon around 87-89.

Suggestions?
To me and me only dealing with rain gear is more of a pain in the arse than it's worth... Rain is refreshing :)

Honestly I'm not hardcore enough that if I knew it was gonna rain all day to even put in the effort to make the ride, if it's spotty ride on and enjoy :cool:

That's my story and I'm stickn to it!

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
True unless its 40 degrees outside. Then getting wet really stinks. Lately here its been closer to 140 than 40. You still headed to Plano soon? We broke our streak of 100 degree days at I think 40, but only because it had a scattered thunderstorm at the airport and no where else. Got up to like 98 that day. New streak started

·
Grenouille
161 Posts
Just did an event in the rain last Sunday, 50 miles. Less fun than a dry day, but once you embrace the idea of being wet, it was fine, the temperature was much better than a normal summer day.

Got a headband, this reduced the water dripping down into my eyes. Used chamois cream (and no cotton), that was the best move. Should have done something for my shoes -- took 3 days to dry afterwards, and now they stink.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yea, I'm thinking a little rain when its 90 degrees won't be so bad. Good idea about getting something for the shoe since they're about the only thing that isn't wash and wear.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Found a jersey for my first ride.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Make sure you have good tires. I know they say that tread on bike tires doesn't make a difference, but my own sliding-out ass feels otherwise. Maybe it's just the tread compound. Me, I like Panaracer Paselas for iffy roads/conditions.

I would forego rain gear, except maybe for some shoe covers. Over 100 miles, if it's raining, you're going to get wet no matter what you do. So don't burden yourself with stuff that won't help.

The only thing that WOULD help would be fenders. Dorky, I know, but the worst drenching comes from the water kicked up by your tires. That's also what drenches your shoes most of the time. Get some Race Blades or some such thing if rain is forecast. That'll take care of the racing stripe up your butt and keep road spray out of your face and off of your shoes.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts
The only thing that WOULD help would be fenders. Dorky, I know, but the worst drenching comes from the water kicked up by your tires. That's also what drenches your shoes most of the time. Get some Race Blades or some such thing if rain is forecast. That'll take care of the racing stripe up your butt and keep road spray out of your face and off of your shoes.
Nice! That's a good point Platy....I still couldn't put fenders on my bike. Sucking someones wheel in a good down pour is pretty uncomfortable. The spray in the face is the worst to me.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I know the forecast will change at least 12 times over the next 14 days, but looks like the rain has moved up in the forecast for my ride and now I'm looking at Partly Sunny and 93 degrees. I think I might prefer rain.

Platy, you nailed the one thing I hate about riding in the rain which is the spray from the tires. Wonder if they make fenders that'll fit my junky old Roubaix?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Riding in the rain when it's warm isn't a problem. Riding in the rain when it's cold is a nightmare. Bring a cheap rain suit top ($10-$20). If it's cold, put it on. When it warms up, take it off. The rain suit top won't keep you from getting wet, it will keep you from losing lots of body heat if the temps are below 75 or so. Nothing removes heat from your body faster than rain. I know, I did a week long ride in July last year and ended up riding in the rain when the temps dropped to about 65-70. After about 4 hours of rain, it took me another two hours at a rest stop to warm up. I think I drank two gallons of hot chocolate, in July!

Regarding the fender, just get an inexpensive clip on fender. It not the water going up your back from the rear wheel that's a problem, it's the dirt and grit. The dirt and grit drip off your back an onto and into every component on your bike.

·
Two skinny J's
21,348 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Poolie let's review... Know rule #9 and of course #1

Velominati-The rules

or review here http://www.twospoke.com/forum/f27/rules-time-review-5760/

This is becoming one of my favorites.

Rule #10 -- It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Climbing is hard. It stays hard. To put it another way, per Greg Henderson: “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”

PS: Ordered the jersey last night!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts