Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So its raining all day here today - so I did my first manual trainer in a while - the Tour De France trainer I have is a good trainer - but the difference is incredible - yesterday I did 26 miles outside and it was glorious as it usually is outside on a road bike - I did 11 miles on the manual feature of the TDF bike - couldn't quite take the miniaturized tours that are the bike's best feature with lots of inclines & declines - I even have the TV with recorded shows and a Ipad/Kindle app on the bars to occupy the time but it drives me crazy not moving forward - Is that the same for everyone here - do you tend to do the same mileage ????

PS - I am saving the Tour de France stages for the winter - I will learn to love hills - and in this case mountains - I have seen so far inclines of 18º when using that function on the machine - I think one day a week i will do a stage - although it mimics the stage in the tour in elevation changes the stages on the bike average 13-18 miles - the rest of the week I will either use manual or put my trek on the trainer I have trainer

thanks for your thoughts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
I'd rather battle the elements than battle a trainer. Last winter I completed the Elephant Rock video on my trainer in 4 sesions. 100 miles. The rest of the winter I covered 1900 miles on the roads in New England.

I have a trainer and only use it when I have no other choice. I have no problem with the cold air. It's the iced up roads I need to avoid.

I also have a half dozen spinervals videos. Still nothing like riding on the road.

I need some heavy snow and low temps to keep me indoors. Rain is a piece of cake.

·
Registered
9,933 Posts
Trainers don't bother me, but I would much rather be on a bike. I tend to watch TV when on the trainer and concentrate on what's on rather than the trainer. I actually took my trainer with me to Illinois, in June, in case there was no place for me to ride. I used it twice until I found where the Savanna/Moline trailhead was located.

·
Total noob (& forum admin)
12,350 Posts
If I ever get another trainer, it will probably only be used for bike fittings. Either get a single speed (MTB or BMX) for the rain, or some running shoes.

When they make an indoor trainer that will allow you to hop curbs and do wheelies, I will consider using one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts