Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok So I raised my seat so that now I actually have to use the peddal to get on but my knee is stright when in the 6 o'clock position and i've always heard that's how it should be. so please tell me if i'm wrong. rode a little over 12 miles today. and I also pushed the seat back.. it never accured to me to do that till i read it on here. so I went looked at my seat and low and behold I was able to move it. but it's still not correct. and my hands still hurt really bad but I'm going to try and get new hand grips tomrrow and see if that helps.
I want to thank everyone for the encouragment and suggestions and help. this weekend we are going to do a long ride just to see where where I'm at and how much work I need to do
oh and by raising my seat I've also increased my speed by 2 mph may not seem like a lot to some but I"m impressed if no one else is lol .. and I can almost stand up and peddle and now if I can just get the hand pain under control I'll be a peddeling fool!! thanks so very much guys!!!!!!

Another question for ya...
I have noticed that ( not sure what it is called) but where the peddles come togther with the chainrail ... should there be any play in that as in should I be able to move the entire peddle and sprocket assembly side to side? not a lot and I did tighten up the big nut but it still has some move ment. I noticed when I shift to the large gear ( 3) the chain hits the derailer but adjusting it is kind of useless because of this movement?? suggestions please ..

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Congratulations on your improvements. Bike fit is everything. I don't remember your exact speeds before but 2 mph is probably a 20% or so improvement which is a lot :)

I can't help you with the tech question, but I'm sure someone here can. As part of the bike purchase, my LBS does all the adjustments so if I hear noises I just take it to them... I plead ignorance.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha I like to plead ignorance also but most of the time I don't get that option. well my speeds befrore ( and no laughing) were like 8-10 now they are more like 10-12 and i'm. I'm still not real steady on side walks or close to anything that I can run in to or fall off of but I dont think that has anything to do with the bike I'm like that when I walk also lol

·
22 Posts
You are just trucking along aren't you?! Congratulations!!!

I'm still too scared to ride anywhere but park paths at this point. After I get physically comfortable, my next goal is to be comfortable enough with my skills to ride on the road instead of having to lug my bike somewhere to ride.

12 miles? YOU are doing great! Keep it up.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you very much and oh I'm all for taking the bike and going to ride, but I don't have a car to load it up on to take. And there are just not that many bike paths in Indiana that do not involve cars. I did find one here in town but its only about 3 miles long. and I hate riding between things I'll just get off and push it through so I don't crash into them. I pretty much have to ride in the street and hope no one hits me. but actually here cars are pretty good about crossing over into the other lane to go around and staying behind you till they are able to get in to that other lane. This weekend my boyfriend will be here and we plan going as far as we can. We are going to try for the entire 50 which is going to Columbus that's 20 miles and then they have the people trail which is 11 and then 20 back home so that would give us our 50 and if i can do that then I'm going to start working my hills. even as a kid i had a hard time going up hills on my bike. and if I can do that then I'll not worry at all about any of it :) and if we don't make it then I guess we will have to find a tree to set under and take a nap till we can haha.

·
Eocyclist
742 Posts
With the pedal down and the ball of your foot on the pedal, your leg should have a slight bend rather than being fully extended. Check this article from REI Fitting Your Bike: Expert Advice from REI
And this from Sheldon Brown: A Comfortable Saddle

A good starting point is to have full extension when your heel on the pedal. That gives about the right amount of leg bend when your foot is in a normal pedaling position.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok i'll check it again. it is not perfect yet so I'll be adjusting it again today and just saw where we are to get storms hmmm don't like storms they make riding a nasty mess at times

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Its sounds closer mom, but if its totally straight its probably a bit too high. Sounds closer, and with your knee history you want it as close as you can get. Drop it just a little bit. Make the adjustments at this point small. It doesn't take a big adjustment to make a big difference as you found out.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yes it's closer then I shall go to work on my hands arthitis and them going numb is bad. at about 4 miles I have to stop and get the feeling back but moving the seat did help some as it changed the position. but not perfect yet

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
ok i'll check it again. it is not perfect yet so I'll be adjusting it again today and just saw where we are to get storms hmmm don't like storms they make riding a nasty mess at times
According to the official rules, if you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a bada$$. Refer to this thread for more info on the Rules.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I road the other day when it was thundering and lightening and it only actually rained on me a little bit does that count? i was out in the middle of no where surrounded by corn fields ?? lol

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So if i'm a bad ass and it's raining what am I when the heat index is 109 and 8 pm? which is what i'm about to go do my nightly ride in now??? yep taking water lots of water

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
So if i'm a bad ass and it's raining what am I when the heat index is 109 and 8 pm? which is what i'm about to go do my nightly ride in now??? yep taking water lots of water
Crazy? Just kidding ;-)

I know girls don't sweat, but along with water you might want to include something like the G2 Gatorade (low cal one) so you replenish the electrolytes you lose when it's this hot.

Personally, I get leg cramps with water alone. Everyone's different but might be something to consider.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well actually had not thought about gator aid because up untill several months ago I was a diet coke junkie but as I said in an earlier post somewhere.. I have been in the process of having weight loss surgery. as of the 20th of this month I have been on the road to this surgery for a year and because of BS I won't go in to here it may be October before I have surgery I had planed on having done back in April. anyway. because the surgery is such a life changing event you must make small changes before . and after the surgery you can not have any thing with caffine or carbination for at least a year after the surgery. so it has to be cut out before. so I've drank noting but water for so long that the last time I tried to drink any thing but water it was just nasty and who ever said drinking water makes you lose weight LIED!!!!! I have a 32oz bottle that I take every where I go and fill more times a day than I care to count.
oh and hun I sweat I sweat more now than I have ever in my life.. but it's because of a lovely little thing called Menapuse hot flashes cold sweats mood swings yeah its lovely, men have mid life crisis and get a cool car and a young girl friend. I on the other hand could be the entire reason for global warming :) haha
today I may go to the pool and vegitate for the day as the arthritis is klling me my hands are not wanting to type. so i know it's going to be hell on my ride this evening.
have a greeat day stay cool :)

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I'm sorry maybe you havn't hit it yet, or maybe you got a cool bike instead? lol
Be 48 in Oct. so definitely past the mid point. Gonna to buy me a 'real' bike next year. Come to think of it I'm not sure I'd want a young girlfriend. Sounds too much like work.

·
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, my mid-life crisis was just that...a crisis! I realized I was at mid-life!! :)
I heard on the news that the person who will live to be 150 has already been born so I'm thinking mid life is not till what 75 now? sounds good to me :) unless a person is still raising children at that age lol

Today I was a vegtable yep didn't do anything didn't even go out to the garage and talk to my bike I think this is the frist time I've missed a day since can't remember when. But I am so looking forward to riding this weekend. but I also look at it as giving my hands a rest :) the rest of me is good to go :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts