Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a red/black trim Raleigh Grand Prix Road Bike in mint/new condition. I believe it's a 1971. The only thing not original on it is the seat. The tires are original. It has been in my climate control basement since new. I'm curious as to what it might be worth. Can anyone give me an idea? If necessary, I can supply pictures.

·
Registered
35 Posts
because the grand prix wasn't a very high-end model, i'm afraid it probably isn't worth all that much. maybe $100?

sorry if that's disappointing, but only very unusual bikes, top of the range models or those that have a cult following seem to appreciate in monetary value.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Price

Sheldon Browns website has a very good original cost catalog on all of these old Raleigh models. I have a '76 Raleigh Grand Prix that originaly sold for $175. After doing an inflation calculator that transfers to around a $650 bike today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
$100 is definitely tops. Tires and tubes should be replaced, and all cables greased. All bearings in the bottom bracket, headset and hubs need to be cleaned and regreased. This is a great bike, but the equipment, especially the Simplex derailleurs and cottered crank are very dated, but functional.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Pictures?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Send me pictures

I have a red/black trim Raleigh Grand Prix Road Bike in mint/new condition. I believe it's a 1971. The only thing not original on it is the seat. The tires are original. It has been in my climate control basement since new. I'm curious as to what it might be worth. Can anyone give me an idea? If necessary, I can supply pictures.
If you want to sell let me know, pics would be good too.

·
215 Posts
That bike was a low end bike, but it is in mint condition, which in itself is a rare find. I would say it's worth more then $100 considering I've seen beat up Schwinn Varsity's go for that, and the Varsity was a big time piece of crap when it was new! E-bay has them for around $150 in average condition, and that price doesn't include the shipping cost the winner has to add to the purchase price! I would say it's worth at least $250 in mint condition, and to the right buyer maybe as much as $300.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts