Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up my first vintage road bike and I love it!!! I got a raleigh grand prix for $75 on craigslist. I don't really know if I did well or not but I am sure everyone has their opinion. To me it was worth every penny so far. From what I can tell it is a 73 model made in Holland. The previous owner, the only one he claims, replaced the stock shifters and put them on the end of the handle bars. Other than some chips in the paint, I think she is in good shape.

My question to the cycling community, what can/should I do for improvement in ride quality? I have already put a new chain on, greased the wheels, trued them. I was reading Sheldon Browns page and didn't fully understand the bottom bracket replacement. All I know is the Phil Woods are expensive. Any other options come out since his post? I guess I don't know where to go from here. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Keep in mind I am still learning all this stuff. Thanks

Some pictures (hopefully this works):
Pictures by jeff1soccer - Photobucket

·
Registered
98 Posts
Congrats on the new Raleigh. I too, just bought one several weeks back. It's a 78 super gran prix that i'm making into a retro single speed. There's a lot of tracking tools you can use to find out the origin of your bike if you choose. I don't want to bore everyone, but these are originally English bikes out Nottingham. Raleigh was the street the first shop was on, then they built another not to far away......anyway, congrats!!

·
889 Posts
I had a late 80's Grand Prix! It was my first road bike and helped me fall in love with cycling. It was stolen a few years later but I will never forget that bike as it got me to where I am today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Howdy,
I would not change the bb of this bike, due to the fact that it is a cottered crankset and you may or may not have Raleigh rather than standard English BB threads. I believe the Raleigh threads were 26 threads per inch, rather than the standard English 24. When you replaced the chain, did you also replace the freewheel ? Chains and freewheels wear together, to putting a new chain on , with an old freewheel, may cause immediate skipping in the smallest, usually 14 tooth gear. Besides replacing all the cables-shift and brake, and perhaps installing better tires, I would not put anything more into this bike.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts