Raleigh Sojourn

Discussion in 'Road Bikes' started by wild, Oct 1, 2010.

1. wild

wild Yesterday tired old man, Today retired old man

I am thinking of getting a Raleigh Sojourn and I am not sure how I would make out with the barend shifters it comes with, anyone have some info on this type of shifter or how it could be changed to brake shifters ???
    Thanks Bud

2. wild

Well I have narowed it down to 2 bikes A Jamis Aurora Elite 2010.
    and a Raleigh Sojorn 2011. I just cant seam to get the barend shifter thing, evean after taking a Sojorn for a ride as far as the Aurora it has 32 spoke wheels and I wanted 36 and does not come with a Brooks saddle like the Sojorn. I am not planning to go touring with the bike Just my normal 25 mile rides and maybe a century some day

So any of you that would like to coment on eather bike I would like to hear from you

3. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Index shifting is nice, I admit.

Bike Nashbar sells house brand index shifters/brake levers for $125 with % off coupons all over the web(this week it is 20SINGL for 20% off).

4. jeepster93

jeepster93 New Member

Just a note...
    I have heard bad things about the Shimano Dura Ace index shifters. Expensive and not durable at all.
    I have Ultegra 7600 10x2 speed myself and LOVE them.
    My riding partner has Sora 9 speedx2 index shifters and loves them too. The Sora's are close to what Nashbar sells.

5. wild

Thanks . I am leaning to the Aurora . I dont know much about different grades of parts. I did not think the brakes on the Sojourn were as good as the disc on my absolute thay were BB5s and the Aurora has BB7s are the 7 a better brake. I am guessing that the 32 spoke rims will handle my 240# and I don't nead 36 spoke but thay would be nice. The 2010 Aurora has a tripple The 2011 has a dubble I realy want a tripple. I think that it must be nice to know what goes with what and be able to put it into your bike, and come up with the bike you want.