Two Spoke Forums banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
One of my co-workers always adds "Thanks Bri" in her emails to me. Because two more letters is too much work. We're not friends, so it's annoying.

Our South Carolina transplant calls me "sugar", and for some reason I have no problem with that.
I just sign off Thanks and type 5 less letters.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I seem to get the sweetie thing at doctors offices. I know it's standard language used to talk to us older people and it's also spoken in a sing song baby talk sort of way. So, this is kind of how it goes and here are some of my answers.

I've just been called out of the lobby area by someone who has never seen me, I'm a total stranger. This person looks like they've been eating way to many potato chips! The door opens and the person calls Bill (they're afraid to try to pronounce my last name.)
We start down the hall to the preliminary area (weight, height & blood pressure.)
She says: How we feeling today sweetie?

My replies.

1. Not good, sweetie just messed his dipper, got another one?

2. Do you talk to your husband or boyfriend like that? Let's have an adult to adult conversation!

2. Oh Boy! Sweetie loves baby talk, let's play!

Well, they drop the baby talk right away! Actually they limit their conversation for the duration of the visit.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Huffnpuff, you have changed the whole context of this thread. If I'm in that kind of environment insist on correct name. I have a long last name so I will accept a first name. But, as a mandatory thing I will not respond to anything but my correct name. Most of the time this presents no problem. They even use a title.

Why? This is not just an ego thing. It is making sure the other party correctly identifies with whom they are dealing. That is important for medications, diagnosis, business negotiations, etc.

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
"Young man" yesterday by a med tech at the MD's office. How about Denver? - EDIT: I called the practice manager and complained, offering them some better alternatives..

·
Registered
822 Posts
I notice it more and more as I get older, plus I think I maybe look a little older than I am due to growing up on a farm and getting lots of sun damage before I knew it was A Bad Thing To Do.

It doesn't bother me really, I just notice it happening more and more. If I were called "old guy" or something though, now that would piss me off.

Up until about five years ago I deluded myself into thinking that the cashiers were flirting with me or something I suppose, maybe 'cause of those biking muscles in my calves or all of the upper body workouts I do making a real difference or something... ;)

But eventually I had to face the sad fact and accept that no; that wasn't it - it was just that I look about the age of their fathers. ;)

I get lots of "honeys" and "dears" up here in upstate NY - both from natives as well as the large transplanted population (big military base).

Yesterday when I bought a new bike the young woman who sold it to me tried to help me lift it into the back of the SUV. I felt like I must look decrepit or something but really I understand that was just respect, I kinda laughed to myself and politely told her thanks but I didn't need help.

It's hard not to get bugged sometimes when people are a bit...overly helpful due to ageism though.

A month ago, I was at Tractor Supply buying two large bags of dog food, I think they are twenty pounds each and I had them in a cart. No big deal. But the cashier kept asking if I needed help getting them out and into the car (as well as throwing in lots of honey's and dear's).

It's not like I shuffle around or limp or act like I can't move well or something, and it started to get annoying and after around seven times I was plenty annoyed as I finally finished cashing out.

As I'm rolling the cart away and almost threw the doorway she asked again if she could get someone to help me out, I know that I shouldn't have gotten quite as peeved but I was. It was excessive. I routinely do "The Farmer's Walk" with thirty or forty pounds in each hand, sometimes more, so I shook my head, reached in the cart, grabbed a bag in each hand and lifted them out of the cart, gave the cart a little kick to send it in the general direction of the parked carts and carried the bags out to my car. I kinda laughed at myself afterwards - but at least I didn't have to take the cart back inside the store since they don't have any cart return thingies and you always have to run it back or just leave it in the parking lot.

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Perhaps if more of us spoke up, it would not happen so often?

I have now finally figured out my response to Sweetie.

In a loud voice,

"Please don't call me Sweetie (Dearie, Honey, etc.) in public. I haven't yet told my wife we are having an affair."

·
Registered
822 Posts
You could have a good long list of sickeningly sweet names to use in response.

If they call you "dear" give them a "Cinnamon bun", "Fluffy Puddin'", "Love Bug", "Hunny Bunny", or maybe a "Gummie Bear".

If they say "sweety" respond with a "Sweet bunny", "Cuddly-Wuddly", "Boo Boo Bear", or "Little Twinkie", "Princess Peaches".

If they throw in a "honey" give them back a "Butter Cup Tootsie", "Sugar Plum", or "Sweet Pickle".

And on and on.

On second thought - that's probably a really bad suggestion ;)

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I have shortened it even more - Loudly

Please don't call me sweetheart (dearie, honey and all the rest) in public - I thought we were keeping our affair a secret."

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,288 Posts
I'd like to see, OK hear, Cortana and Siri go at it.....................alright, climb back out of the gutter, I'm talkin catfight.

·
Spin Spin Spin
4,288 Posts
oops, forgot Alexa, can't leave her out.....trifecta catfight even better!...........

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
"Young fella" from the eye doc today. Since he had a laser pointed at my eye, I chose not to comment! :)

I do not understand the psychology behind younger folks calling older folks "Young [whatever]"??

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
I have a friend that calls me "Miss Marna" I HATE IT! I have told her I don't like it. She sees it as respect. <sighs and snorts!>

·
Registered
288 Posts
When I checked in to Planet Fitness today the attendant welcomed me with : Welcome Mr. H...... Have a good workout". Made me remember that almost all my adult life I've been either Mr H, or Mr. H(first name), except in professional relations. Even then, regardless of rank/title it was mainly first names.

Hmmm, guess it is a cultural, and ego thing.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Sometimes I scratch my head and try to figure out why certain threads create continued engagement.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.