Two Spoke Forums banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,416 Posts
I'm pretty laid back on what I am called unless it is a high school kid working a register. If they call me "bro", "babe", "love", dear" I tell them to call me by my species name "**** Sapien" but "****" for short. It usually clears the matter up pretty fast.

At work, when I have a student or intern with me, I am just my first name. I did, however, have a student that was a bit too arrogant for being so wet behind the ears and lacking in performance. He came in to the kitchen one day and just started calling us "the group", or whatever it was. He didn't realize I was his preceptor and wanted to know what to call me. I said "Well you can start by addressing each of us as 'sir' starting now." That brought him down a few notches.

I always teach my students that geriatric patients are not to be "hon", "sweetie", "dear." It is always Miss/Ms./Mr. and if they deviate from that, it is noted on their evaluation form. If someone makes it 40+ years on this earth, you owe them that formal respect. I've found a lot of men from WWII like to be called a nickname, "Skip, Scoop, Doc," whatever their nickname was from days past.

But then again, I also had the above mentioned student convinced that we were evolved from a dinosaur known as cockasaurus rex ...

·
Registered
317 Posts
... He didn't realize I was his preceptor and wanted to know what to call me. I said "Well you can start by addressing each of us as 'sir' starting now." That brought him down a few notches.

I always teach my students that geriatric patients are not to be "hon", "sweetie", "dear." It is always Miss/Ms./Mr. and if they deviate from that, it is noted on their evaluation form. If someone makes it 40+ years on this earth, you owe them that formal respect.
That's how I was raised and taught, and it continued through my apprenticeship. It reminds me, though, of an incident when I was about ten years old. My grandfather remarried after his first wife died, and this was before I was born. His new wife's name was Lillian, but my parents never could get to call her 'Mom', while they both referred to him as 'Dad.' So they became 'Lil and Dad.' Of course, I had to call them 'nanny and granddad.' So on this occasion in my tenth year, I sat back in a chair and asked my mother: "So when's Lil and Dad coming up, again?" My mother shrieked and told me to wait until my father gets home. At the same time my brothers and sisters burst out laughing. Needless to say I never called them that, again. :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
I was reminded of this thread when I left Planet Fitness yesterday evening. The fifty something manager waved and said: "Have a good day hon.".

·
Premium Member
1,789 Posts
Grocery store today - clerk called me "Dearie" and "Sweetheart." I know this does not bother many of you, but it drives me nuts, and happens more often (and is more grating) as one gets older.

I grinned and bore it, but I think I will have a business card printed that says -

"It is very condescending to call someone my age Dearie, Sweetheart, honey or similar endearances. Please call me Dr. Fox or Denver. Thank you."

and hand it out when this happens. Or, perhaps, I will just yell at them.

End of rant!
I've been called worse! :p

I agree though, I really hate these terms. I grew up in the south with "bless his heart" and I can assure you that they aren't sympathizing.

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
I got the "Young man" bit the other day - and told the guy that if he was calling me "Young man" he needed to have his eyeglasses checked. He laughed but got my point.

·
Still learning . . .
1,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
I have shortened it even more - Loudly

Please don't call me sweetheart (dearie, honey and all the rest) in public - I thought we were keeping our affair a secret."
I actually did this in a grocery store - got a "Sweetie" and told her that I thought we were keeping our affair a secret. She did a sort of double-take and smiled and got my point.

I also told a very nice waitress - who incessantly called me "Dear" that I really did not like that. She agreed and said she was unawares of how many times she was calling me and other folks "Dear" and thanked me.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.