Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking at putting a rack on my Synapse 5 for commuter duty. I have the eyelets by the rear axle for fenders or a rack but no braze-ons on the seat stays.

QR is not a requirement as I have more QR hardware adapters than I know what to do with.

What says ye?

Oh and the racks that clamp to the seatpost are out as I have a CF post (the bike, not me).

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I put a rack on my cross bike. I had to get a seatpost collar with eyelets. Axiom makes one and so does Bontrager. I had no spots for a rack at all and had to use the type of lower mount that uses the axle for the rear tire.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I ended up with the Axiom. The only complaint I have, is the eyelets are a bit high and make it tough to connect the rods that go to the stays. Some of the collars have the eyelets dropped a bit lower. Don't look quite as good, but that's something to think about. Mine works fine tho.

·
Two skinny J's
21,204 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You Specialized guys must fear Google and spend most of your time on Pinterest!

Just kidding.

Use your google-fu and search for "Axiom seat collar eyelet" and then the same for Bontrager. Axiom showed for $119, CNC machined. Bontrager was $12. Yes, that much of a price difference. Amazon had a few of the Axioms for $10, but none that would fit my seatpost.

Rola, why are you surprised? Embarassed?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Whoa! 120 smackers! I didn't pay that for mine and I think it is an axiom. I bought from the LBS here. That thing for 120 better have a jet engine or something on it!

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I want to see what you finally come up with. Plenty of times I'd like to have a little extra carrying capacity.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I could use that propeller. Xela can vouch for me, and he would get some mileage from that as well! He likes to tout his prowess at climbing hills by dropping me like a rock, standing up at the crest of the hill, and proclaiming his greatness with flatulence as he disappears from sight! It is kinda funny and we have discussed how that might be a strategy for the tour.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Man, sorry I hijacked your thread with bathroom humor but that is funny! I think Xela's pack would be beer drinking honey badgers. I'm afraid I don't know much about Rola to predict, but if his pack eats cabbage and gummy bears, they have to be pretty cool and funny in my book.

·
Premium Member
8,414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Not, not yet, here's what happened. I own 2 Cannondales, same year, 1 US built, one not (I mention this for a reason).

The foreign built one was to have fenders installed, Bontragers to be specific because the mounting system does not require you to cut struts. One of the rear eyelets (non-drive side) was caked with paint (I noticed this after I started installing the mounting bolt). I ended up snapping the head off of the bolt but was able to back the rest out using locking grips. I ended up doing a bodge-job to check fit by using a zip-tie temporarily.

So I moved on to my road bike, just to take a look before ordering a rack and. . . there is so much paint in the non-drive, rear eyelet that you couldn't even SEE the threads. Before I starting using a rasp or attempting to chase threads, I'm going to think a bit more about it.

I'm curious as to this being common to bikes or not? My trek doesn't have any eyelets to judge and my wife's Globe has non-threaded eyelets so it's a moot point for her bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts