Rebuilding Water bottle battery for lights

Discussion in 'Gear & Accessories' started by livendadream, Jul 16, 2009.

1. livendadream

livendadream Guest

Has anyone ever rebuilt or made from scratch a new battery for their lights? I just cooked my nightsun water bottle battery (second one). I checked into a new one and was floored by the price $200. That's alot of beer, ahh I mean alot of school supplies for the kids. I saw a website on how to rebuild one but it is not very detailed. I was just wondering if it would be hard and if it is worth it, time plus money involved? Thanks for any info, J.:confused:

2. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

Probably not worth the effort or cash. I recently picked up a sweet Princton Tec LED headlight with a Lithium ion battery for $100 on Chainlove. If your headlight uses a bottle cage battery, it's probably a NiMH or NiCad, which is old technology and probably not worth salvaging, especially for that kind of $$$.

3. TxCyclist

TxCyclist Administrator Staff Member Admin Staff

Curious to see the tutorial. What is link to the rebuild?

4. livendadream

livendadream Guest

Dean, here is the site,Icebike Home Page. This site is awesome! These people are truly hardcore cyclists. Go to equipment then to battery rebuild. I am going to give it a go. I know hophead said it is not worth it, but nightsun lights rock even if they are oldschool. 2 beams total 45 watts,1.25 hr run time on high, 2.5 hour run time on low. I used the #$%@! out of these lights without any issues other than battery failure (my fault). It is like the name says riding at night with sun in front of you. I will keep you posted, let me know if you find any other info. J;)

5. hophead

hophead New Member Tavern Member

In case you reconsider, Chainlove has the Princeton Tec Switchback 3 for less than half price ($171.99). That's a freakin' bargin and a half. The deal expires in less than 15 minutes. They have 8 left.