Reckless Cycling ???????

Discussion in 'Activism / Safety' started by rola643, Jan 11, 2011.

1. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  2. CTD50

CTD50 DX's Biggest Member

Uh,......... no.

And Macaskill could get out of any ticket, anyway, by claiming diplomatic immunity -- he's not from Earth, he just comes here to ride.

No, the ticket targets are the ones like us, who don't like having drivers dictate to us and stay on the sidewalk like good little boys and girls, letting the adults go about their motoring business.

F*** 'em, it's my street, too.....................................

3. LarryM

LarryM Eocyclist

The BMXers must be getting in somebody's way ... spooking the tourists away from somebody's business. Or maybe a politically connected pedestrian got buzzed or hit by a bicyclist.

4. rola643

rola643 Two skinny Js Staff Member Admin Staff Mod Team Tavern Member

Some follow up as to the nature of the bill. Found this on

Update: I spoke to his legislative assistant this afternoon, and she explained that the bill was part of a legislative package that had been requested by Charlottesville. There was, apparently, a cyclist-caused fatality there last year, and the charge of “reckless cycling” was one of the recommendations of the bike safety task force set up in response to it. Sen. Deeds office doesn’t view it as anti-cyclist, but as a way to hold cyclist responsible without the full force of a reckless driving charge. In fact, Sen. Deeds himself replied (via Twitter) that “Idea is control short of reckless driving.” I’m still not personally certain that this bill is necessary, but I’m comfortable that Sen. Deeds isn’t out to make life harder for cyclists. I’ll be looking into the origin of the recommendation and update here.