Two Spoke Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to run two handlebar mounted flashlights. I would like one with a shorter floodier beam and one for a long throw of light.Run time isn't a huge issue, but would like to get at least 1hr. Can you recommend some flashlights to choose.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Are you looking for flashlights or bike headlights ? I have seen flashlights used but generally bike headlights work better. For bike headlights I recommend Nite Rider.
Very well made and nice features. They make dual light systems, but would have to look
about the flood & spot lenses.

·
Banned
1,508 Posts
Depends on how much you want to spend. Personally anything under $80 and your not going to have a light you can see with unless you get one of those flashlight deals and then the beam is not suited for bikes. Bike lights have the spill coverage and light shape optimized for cycling.

I have a couple of Cygolites and both are great lights. I have a Cygolite ExpiliOn 250 that is very bright 250 lumen light, in fact the brightest self contained rechargeable replaceable battery (no external battery pack) light on the market for Bicycles and it cost about $105. Then I also have the Cygolite Mitycross 400 that cost about $210 and that is even brighter at 400 lumens. I like the Mitycross the best, not so much because it's brighter but because it has two beams, in the unlikely event one of the LED's burns out I can still ride home since the other would continue to operate. The Mitycross has a external rechargeable battery pack but it's very small, as is the light, so the size and weight is a non issue, and the battery just straps to either the frame or handle bar thus doesn't take up a valuable space needed for a water bottle.

Here are some web sites that can show you the differences in most of the lights on the market and you can compare for yourself: ModernBike.com - Online Bicycle Shop

·
Registered
38 Posts
NiteRider also makes a self contained 250 lumens for about $120 and it rocks. Easy to switch from bike to bike and works great as a hand held flash light also.
I just ordered this 500 lumens Nite Rider for $199.00 regular $449.00 at Nashbar.NiteRider TriNewt Select Headlight : Deals & Discounts on Bike Headlights From Nashbar
The 250 works good but always wanted to try something bigger and for that price I couldn't resist. Very seldom have I found a product like NiteRider lights that I have backed a 100%. They work like a champ and built like a tank.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you're looking for any technical info on flashlights, the place to look would be candlepowerforums.com You can do a search on using flashlights for bike lights. There must be 10,000 posts on candlepowerforums. There are bike specific mounting brackets for using a flashlight as a bicycle light, so someone has had the same idea. You can also check out forums.mtbr.com - Lights and Night Riding or Lights DIY - Do It Yourself forum. I hate to send someone to another forum, but for this specific area (lighting) there are sources of lighting information that have thousands of posts with terrific info.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts